Wind Turbine

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | Inventor's Corner    Page 1 of 1

Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:08 pm PostPost subject: Wind Turbine
couldbe
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Saw this on the steorn forum

* capeguy
* CommentTime10 minutes ago

@pcstru

you said you have a problem seeing a complex path derived from working on a wind turbine. Heres how I see it....
Wind turbines use blades to extract energy from differing wind speeds. Wind energy is the square of the cube-ie double the speed and cube the energy output. There is a balance that is needed in building all turbines. Small turbines dont use variable pitch blades to adjust power output and intead use a crude form of blade twist to prevent overspeed and potential burnout of the generator. The generator Im assuming Steorn used was a PM based variable speed/variable voltage AC generator. The turbine created electicity based on a simple curve until it starts to produce too much electricity and begins overheating. There are many ways to prevent overspeed, blade pitch, self furling, braking...etc Jacobs windturbines are an older design of wind generators that used a centrifugal blade furling based on adjustable weights. As the turbine started to overspeed the centrifugal forces turned the blades thus reducing energy output. Im thinking that steorn was using this concept to adjust the placement of the PM's based on the speed of the turbine shaft. As the device sped past the maximuum rated output the PM's would move out of alignment. This could take a non circular path and would retrun to a circular path when the device slowed down.
OR
As the device over revved another series of PM's were drawn closer with the intention of braking thru the interaction of multiple magnetic fields.

Whatever the original reasoning I believe Steorn added addition PM's to the device and got unexpected results.

Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:32 am PostPost subject:
clovis ray20
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

thanks couldbe
i have a friend that knows about wind generators and windmills, i talk with him and see if i can dig up something.

View previous topic
View next topic