Project MATRIX

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | WhipMag Discussion/Development Goto page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2

Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:39 pm PostPost subject: Project MATRIX
MADPROF
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Been busy designing a new project, and have had to make some big changes to the original concept. I now have to have the control fields on the out side of the rotor instead of the centre. This has led to a rail system around the rotor.

I would like to use three rails, two North and one common South.
Question
Can you saturate a core from both sides with two different south poles of the same size and strength.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:30 pm PostPost subject:
Magluvin
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Hey Madprof
its hard to say with this info you present. I know you probably want to keep the info low key. But I would need some example of what size or shape of a core we are looking at, and it does not even have to tell what is going on.
Be glad to help if I can.
I had just only learned about the importance of full saturation of the cores by energizing the coils in Orbo a few days ago. Im a bit slow at certain things sometimes. But I fully get it now. And we are still getting more details on different ways of winding, multiple windings and their function, and also the possibility that the cores may be weak neo ring mags, but dont quote me on that, its a maybe. Funny thing is, I can show you a thread that I had proposed that about a week ago at OU.com and I just read about this today. I just dont have the mag to try it.

Mags

Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:45 am PostPost subject:
MADPROF
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Hi Magluvin
Thanks for your input, I know very little about the Orbo and would like to keep it that way if possible.

Since the WhipMagII experiments and the Ball in a Bowl, a few things have been bothering me, the way the whipmag balanced and the ball turned into the rotor field. I tried to understand all the technical terms used by the brains but didn't see it in my head so have devised my own tests to see what is going on.

From what I can see magnet against magnet always results in a balance, but if a magnetic material is used lots of components can be made to control the flux path.
The magnetic space boots were said to retain a memory which got me started on this flux path trail.
From here Parral path came to play, this uses two coils to execute a path in one direction with X3.5 the force of the input.

So if you can cause flux to flow in the direction you want by placing a coil around the core then you should be able to do the same job with magnets, and you can Wink Just feed a path into the core and the main flux will follow.

So think of the paths as temporary magnets which will act as diodes controlling which way the flux flows.

Now we can build a switching unit but rather than on off pluses like you would use with coils, the actual path materials and their respective properties could be utilized to allow dwell periods like you see in conventional engines.

Any thoughts?

Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:39 am PostPost subject:
Magluvin
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Hey Madprof
As for the magnetic memory rectifying Im not sure what your plan is, but are you suggesting that, lets say we have a ring with cog teeth on it and as it spins the teeth meet up with other teeth (stators) to complete a path? Make and break, sort of like inside of a distributor, modern ones that dont have points.
Just tryin to imagine this. =]

mags

Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:21 pm PostPost subject: Re: Project MATRIX
overconfident
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

MADPROF wrote:

Can you saturate a core from both sides with two different south poles of the same size and strength.

Sorta. The core material would become partially saturated, with an opposing internal polarity, and dead zones. It may not behave as you expect. The flux may tend to leak out the sides of the core and curl back towards the magnets as it tries to follow the path of least resistance back to the opposite pole. The fields will always follow a complete loop back to the opposite pole.

If saturation is the only consideration, using opposite poles will be more efficient than like poles. If you are just trying to create some unusual polarity, you may have something.

Take a large steel ball and stick a S pole to opposite sides. The ball will develop a N pole at the points of contact. The ball's S pole(s) will develop near the equator (midpoint between the magnets) and appear to be almost radial, with a weak field band right where the opposing fields meet . If the magnets are not exactly opposite, the field will be uneven, favoring the part of the ball furthest from both magnets.

I would be happy to share more thoughts once I better understand the configuration you are considering. Got any pics or drawings?

Hope this helps,
OC

Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:41 pm PostPost subject:
MADPROF
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Hi Magluvin & OC

MagMan your distributor description is very close, the pick up points are on the rotors edge and sections of different poled rails complete the OD. The reason I asked about a core saturated from both sides would allow the centre rail to be common to two separate switch systems, this would make life so much easier.

OC

If you have two pieces of 10mm sq steel bar about 3" long and put two whipmag rotor mags between them, both Norths on one rail and the Souths on the other and place another bar across one end of the cores, both magnets will flow though the pole piece. Now remove the pole piece and place on the other end, same thing but now the flux flows to the other end of the rails.
Now if you put a third flux flowing one way down one rail and the opposite down the other rail you should see one end of the rails holding the pole piece while the other end does not, if you remove the signal from the rails the pole piece will remain fixed due to flux flow from the rail magnets but if you reapply the signal the other way the pole piece will drop and the other end of the rails become magnetic.
The signal flux will control approx 3.5 times it own strength, this is just one path, I hope to reap the gain and power a second path which will drive the rotor.

Have a play, see what you think Mr. Green

Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:23 pm PostPost subject:
MADPROF
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

OC, Magluvin

This might be better

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af168/MADPROF_03/

Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:40 pm PostPost subject:
Magluvin
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Hey Guys
Well the pic tells a lot more yet as to the motive function Im not clear for sure.
But I do see the rectifying function you are conveying.

Just to show you some things that might be of interest and add to your knowledge here of some things that I have been involved with that are within the realm of your idea.

http://www.overunity.com/index.php?topic=8597.msg227004#msg227004
This one shows a basic idea of flux switching that Steorn is using, in this example when the toroid coil is not energized, the magnet takes the path of least resistance through the toroid, and not the coil on the right with the gap. When the toroid is energized, it saturates and that path is no longer favorable, so the magnet switches to the coil on the right. So as you pulse the toroid, the coil on the right generates electricity from the flux switching. This wil produce a pulsating DC output.

http://www.overunity.com/index.php?topic=8597.msg224933#msg224933
This one is my way of doing it, and it produces AC, meaning that I am making power out when the toroid is powered and when it is de energized, not just when the toroid is energized like the previous link.

The dark gray are ferrite beads which conduct flux, and the inner tube is a neo N facing you and S on the other side. The poles will search the path of least resistance which will be the ferrite wrapped with the green coil(generator pickup) and the red toroid winding. When the red winding is energized, that core is saturated and the magnet seeks the next best path of resistance, the outer core. Then when the red coil is de energized, the field jumps back to the inner core once again.
This causes the field to jump from the inside of the pickup coil to the outside generating a very good AC output with good current, and we are only using power through half of the ac cycle. So in my hopes of getting the parts to make the 3D drawing above, I think it will use half of the input to create a whole output.
The idea just came to me from looking at the version above that produces pulsing dc.

http://www.overunity.com/index.php?topic=8597.msg224009#msg224009
This was my first version with stuff I had to test the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4DXEPcrChk
This is the improved model with the 1/4 mags in the inner core, where by I deduced that my 3D drawing above should optimize the effect.

I know you said that you dont care for Steorn stuff, but it will give you more on the plate to work with as in flux control.

http://www.overunity.com/index.php?topic=8597.msg223864#msg223864
here is another thing someone is messing with on flux path also.

In a way, Im just showing you that i am and have been working with this stuff and I may be able to lend a hand to ya with your project. OC is involved with this stuff too and his knowledge on magnetics is beyond mine also so his help will be indispensable.

Mags

Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:52 am PostPost subject:
MADPROF
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Magluvin,

Thanks for the info, when I read your Steorn theory I remembered about the Hilden-Brand Electromagnet Motor which sounds similar.
Matrix must NOT have coils and a power supply only Mags Man Laughing

Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:17 am PostPost subject:
Magluvin
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Hey Madprof

I had never seen that before. Thanks
Ya know, I dont think Steorn really invented the idea of what they are using. I am seeing too many similarities that are not new.
I sort of like the idea of solid state devices along with rotary ones. Not that a whipmag or matrix device isnt useful a a working device, but a solid state device would better suit a cell phone for example.

But hey, Matrix, if she goes, its a start. =]

mags

Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:54 pm PostPost subject:
overconfident
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

MADPROF wrote:
Magluvin,

Thanks for the info, when I read your Steorn theory I remembered about the Hilden-Brand Electromagnet Motor which sounds similar.
Matrix must NOT have coils and a power supply only Mags Man :lol:

When I saw your drawing, I instantly thought of the Hildenbrand motor and Flynn Parallel path technology. Here's some links that may help:

http://www.overunity.com/index.php?topic=2386.0
http://www.overunity.com/index.php?topic=833.0

http://www.overunity.com/index.php?topic=828.0

Hope this helps,
OC

Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:53 pm PostPost subject:
MADPROF
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Hi OC

Been shopping for Valentines Day, bought her a nice Bag & matching Belt, can't wait till tomorrow and she finds the Hover fixed. Laughing

Spot on it is a Parallel Path but using permanent magnets instead of coils to drive the Path.
The NASA Spaced Boots in my eye started off flux pathing and when they developed new improved boots they found something so big they shelved it.

Now replicate the first Path and use both to drive a bigger one.

You must see the Latching and Dwell potential of a multi path system ?.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:23 pm PostPost subject:
overconfident
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

MADPROF wrote:

Been shopping for Valentines Day, bought her a nice Bag & matching Belt, can't wait till tomorrow and she finds the Hover fixed. Laughing

I'm sure she'll be happy you didn't use the broken belt as an excuse to tear the Hoover apart for spare parts. Very Happy

MADPROF wrote:

You must see the Latching and Dwell potential of a multi path system ?.

Yes, but not as well as I see spinning magnetic fields. Wink

Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:50 pm PostPost subject:
MADPROF
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

OC,

This second stage path should generate a big enough magnetic jump to drive the rotor, well three of them might.

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af168/MADPROF_03/RIMG3408.jpg

Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:50 pm PostPost subject:
overconfident
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

@MADPROF,

Using permanent magnets, you will need some sort of mechanical motion to drive the changes in the magnetic field. I'm afraid I don't see how you will ever get more out than you put into a rig like this.

It's interesting, but I think Hildenbrand and Flynn's (and Magluvin's) approach with coils is more likely to have a chance of success.

Have fun!
OC

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:29 pm PostPost subject:
MADPROF
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Hi OC,

The two small magnets in the middle of the path, control the flux flow of all the other magnets in the system. There will be three of these units built into the rotor, as the rotor passes the outer stators the path will execute. The centre of the rotor will have a two levels, these will be fixed so the rotor can pull against them.
The outer stators will consist of eight segments with alternate poles to make a ring around the rotor with small air gaps between them.
The centre section will probably have five segments on which the paths can complete.
If the force needed to execute a path is one, then the resulting path acting on the centre section will be about seven.
This is a big magnetic lever really.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:12 pm PostPost subject:
overconfident
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

MADPROF wrote:
Hi OC,

The two small magnets in the middle of the path, control the flux flow of all the other magnets in the system. There will be three of these units built into the rotor, as the rotor passes the outer stators the path will execute. The centre of the rotor will have a two levels, these will be fixed so the rotor can pull against them.
The outer stators will consist of eight segments with alternate poles to make a ring around the rotor with small air gaps between them.
The centre section will probably have five segments on which the paths can complete.
If the force needed to execute a path is one, then the resulting path acting on the centre section will be about seven.
This is a big magnetic lever really.

I understand what you're saying, and when I study your drawing I can sorta get at an idea how the arrangement is supposed to work. But when I try to take all the fields and build a mental image of their interaction, I just see everything sitting statically with no magnetic asymmetry to keep things moving, at least not without some external force to keep things moving.

I don't know how much faith I can put in these psychedelic visions of mine. Lord knows, nothing earth shattering has come of it yet. But they seem to faithfully represent the interactions of a number of existing devices, at least fairly simple ones. Some more complicated devices just evoke incomprehensible and chaotic images (I tried to build an image of a claw-pole motor and got lost in the chaos).

Just my take on it. Maybe you have something I just can't see.

OC

Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:43 am PostPost subject:
MADPROF
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

overconfident wrote:

I understand what you're saying, and when I study your drawing I can sorta get at an idea how the arrangement is supposed to work. But when I try to take all the fields and build a mental image of their interaction, I just see everything sitting statically with no magnetic asymmetry to keep things moving, at least not without some external force to keep things moving.

I don't know how much faith I can put in these psychedelic visions of mine. Lord knows, nothing earth shattering has come of it yet. But they seem to faithfully represent the interactions of a number of existing devices, at least fairly simple ones. Some more complicated devices just evoke incomprehensible and chaotic images (I tried to build an image of a claw-pole motor and got lost in the chaos).

Just my take on it. Maybe you have something I just can't see.

OC

OC

The path setup I show has no asymmetry, as you point out. It's not meant to have any, this is a "Closed System" its purpose is to supply a magnetic output when needed.
The signal pulse and the stators are the "Inlet & Exhaust" which are open systems this is where the asymmetry is to be found. The paths are like worm holes though the chaos you see.

I appreciate your help and comments but need to see this though, besides I need to try this out because, although I can't seem to get this across I see it in my head so clearly.

MP

Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:10 am PostPost subject:
overconfident
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

MADPROF wrote:

... although I can't seem to get this across I see it in my head so clearly.

Go for it!

Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:15 pm PostPost subject:
Magluvin
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Hey Madprof
The config you show will have to be tested. If you make some simple molds you can make the flux paths with iron oxide and resin. Bruce Tpu at OU.com is making some as we speak. He had some trouble the first go round as to the resin/hardener mix, so it must be his first try at this.
The resin n hardener must be mixed first then thicken it up with the iron powder.
He is talking about sanding it into shape, I dunno, He has some nano particles in the mix as well. Dont want them floating around.

But with your tooling you could probably bang out some serious lil molds and wax them real good(mold release) and spray PVA on the wax and let it dry. My choice on the resin/iron mix would be thick like peanut butter so it stays as put in dips and curves. The iron will slow the cure so you have plenty of time to work.

Ive broken some ferrite beads and the material is pretty dense, where if the resin mix is able to pour or drip, I would say the density of the iron is not that even close to a ferrite bead. So thick is the werd my homey. =]

http://www.overunity.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8597.0;attach=42174;image
This is a pic of Bruces first mold.

Mags

Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:57 am PostPost subject:
Magluvin
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Here is the bar after machining.
http://www.overunity.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8597.0;attach=42218;image

Looks good

Mags

Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:06 am PostPost subject:
Magluvin
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Hey Madprof
Here is a link to the fisrt go at the home made bars.
http://www.overunity.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8597.0;attach=42295;image
No vid yet but he does them. this guy is pretty good. I think he could have planned it out better to fit everything straight Its his first go at making the bars.
Ya know, if you made the molds, and was able to make bubble pack, vacuum pack, of thin plastic from those molds, the finished pieces would be mint and easier to remove.
Just thoughts.

Mags

Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:08 am PostPost subject:
Magluvin
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Hey Madprof

Here are a series of vids i did that shows some things about what happens to flux through some simple paths. The last has my conclusion on flux switching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vj0PvRJssA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5FUaCivu0E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYrRCgUOZ38

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJJDZoytJ8E

Mags

Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:05 am PostPost subject:
Magluvin
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

hey Mad
here is an idea I just came up with that will make things for testing a lot easier.
Use pvc pipe and fittings to create the flux path, then fill the pipe with ferropoxy, no sanding, no seems, not hard to cut. very easy.

mags

Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:17 pm PostPost subject:
MADPROF
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Hi Mags

Thanks for the heads up on the ferropoxy bars, might try some lamination's with ferropoxy between electrical steel sheet.
Sorry for late reply, been to the Big Smoke for a long get away weekend with the kids.
In your videos you mention that you still have a attracting force on the open end of your path, this is because you are not sending the push - pull signal down legs.
If you have two bars of ferrite try wrapping them between magnets with wire to make two coils, one left handed the other right and pass a current though them until one end drops off, reverse the polarity and the other end will drop.
Thanks again for you help, and as soon as the wife and kids have done their car boot sale I might be able to get in my workshop to make a start.

MP

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:37 am PostPost subject:
Magluvin
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

hey Mad
Im not sure what your saying to do with the bars and mags, can you make a drawing?

mags

Thu May 13, 2010 6:00 pm PostPost subject:
MADPROF
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Hi All

Is there a way of improving the pull between a Horse Shoe magnet and a steel bar? ie I need to increse the air gap between them and still have a pull.

Thu May 13, 2010 11:12 pm PostPost subject:
overconfident
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

MADPROF wrote:
Hi All

Is there a way of improving the pull between a Horse Shoe magnet and a steel bar? ie I need to increse the air gap between them and still have a pull.

Best pull (field density) you can get is in the space directly between the poles.

To increase attraction, you can get a stronger magnet or use bars constructed from higher permeability materials. There are materials with higher permeability than steel. Something like MuMetal might work, depending on what you are doing.

There are a few quirks about the materials and permeability is not the only issue, but it is the most basic one.

Hope this helps.

OC

Fri May 14, 2010 3:29 pm PostPost subject:
MADPROF
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

overconfident wrote:

Best pull (field density) you can get is in the space directly between the poles.

To increase attraction, you can get a stronger magnet or use bars constructed from higher permeability materials. There are materials with higher permeability than steel. Something like MuMetal might work, depending on what you are doing.

There are a few quirks about the materials and permeability is not the only issue, but it is the most basic one.

Cheers OC,

I do have two pole pieces which will attract the piston, when I say piston I mean a bar on top of the poles, no cylinder as such just roller bearings in support arms.

At the moment the pull starts at about 16mm, would like to increase the stroke of the piston a bit more to get a better throw on the crank.

Decided to start with a big force and take the losses, bearings , bell cranks, etc and use whats left to drive the crank.

MP

Fri May 14, 2010 10:16 pm PostPost subject:
Magluvin
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

MADPROF wrote:
Hi All

Hey Madprof

From what I have been studying lately, if you wind the horse shoe bar, bifilar, as in, if it takes 100 ft of wire to wind it normal, then 2 lengths of 50ft wound together, each turn side by side, and then hook the 2 coils in series, you should get more magnetic pull than the normal way. And it uses the same amount of energy to operate, because the 2 50ft lengths of wire are the same resistance as the single 100 ft.

But as of yet I cannot say that there is overunity from this, just better efficiency.
But lets say we have a normal electric motor that is say 90% eff. , If we wound it bifi, would we peak out over 100%? Cant say for sure yet. =]

Mags

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | WhipMag Discussion/Development
View previous topic
View next topic