Axle manner - Axbo

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | General Steorn Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next   Page 6 of 8

Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:08 am PostPost subject:
Harvey
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

I wonder if the core needs degaussed. Shocked

Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:25 am PostPost subject:
Magluvin
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Hey Axle
Thats great news that it worked for ya. Wink

To test if Harvey's suggestion is correct, reverse the coil physically and for each reversal, also reverse the wire connections.

But the quadfi or what ever fi seems to be a sweet thing aint it? =] Do you know how much info is out there on this andmany dont realize the benefits of it as it stares them in the face? It stared at me ever since Z's sphere deal, and I never saw it till about a week ago or so. So now I have a new way of looking at everything as to not miss anything.

This is why I believe if you still have the Z sphere setup on the shelf, you just may be able to get that sucker to work. I think its just critical in alignments and reed operation.
But I would be careful with it if it works. Wink

Mags

Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:38 am PostPost subject:
Axle
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi Harvey, Hi Mags,

To continue...
After confirming that one Tcoil orientation was performing MUCH better than the other, I reversed the wires that energize the Tcoil, where they connect into the breadboard.
Sure enough, what was a 400+ RPM orientation now became a 300 RPM.
So then, l dismounted the TC, flipped it 180, remounted it, and what was a 300 RPM'er now became a 400+ RPM'er.

So now I'm thinking I'm on to something. Not sure exactly what.

My rotor magnets are [were] set so that the 'upper' ones are all S poles facing out, lower ones N poles facing out. So I reversed the rotor magnet orientation to upper ones N facing out, lower ones S facing out.

AND THAT MOVE FLIP-FLOPPED THE THING.
Reversing what was previously happening.

----------------------------------------------

Last edited by Axle on Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:57 am; edited 5 times in total

Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:18 am PostPost subject:
Magluvin
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Ok cool so Harvey seems to possibly have your answer. If the orientation change didnt affect the rpm but wire change does, then I would say he is correct.
I would check the old coils on this fact also. Are they the same cores in all of them?
Im trying to get things straight in my head as to what else might be going on.

You have a N and S pole on the rotor aiming out, correct?
There may be a field coming off of the cores. Think about the circle of the core and the N and S direction of flow. If the reed is activated just at the point after the rotor mag passes the core, there may be some attraction or repulsion effect coming off of the core.
But if the cores can be magnetized, you can check this by putting the edge of a core on a pole of a strong mag, and tap it on the mag to help get it magnetized, but keep the same point of the core on the pole. Now if you have a compass or viewing film, you will see if it stayed magnetized.

I have some cores that will magnetize easy and some that wont. Take one of them and scrape some of the coating off of the core and use a meter to see if the core is conductive. Some are and some are not. It seems some of the ones that are not conductive wont be magnetized and the ones that are just metal cores will like a paper clip or a washer.

But As I see from your test, I think Harv has your answer. You said random speeds, well that would suggest that when you reverse orientation or wire, when it goes faster, the core is magnetized in the same direction as the winding does. So the magnetized core is actually helping to saturate, where if reversed, the coil has to fight the core to saturate, but only until the coil reverses the core after time of running.
So if it is 300 rpm and you let it run for a while, I would think that the rpms will speed up as the core is reversed from being pulsed for a while. Then you can reverse the connections again to see if she goes back down to 300 rpms. This will be full confirmation of the core being magnetized as Harvey said.
If not, then we have a field emanating from the core that affects push or pull of the rotor, of which is a new thing that I have not read or seen as of yet.

Mags

Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:30 am PostPost subject:
Axle
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi Mags,

This thing is difficult to describe. But it's not random.
No random speeds. Just my confusion 'at first' before figuring out that I was randomly/accidentally positioning the Tcoil 180 differently. The yellow 'tags' in the 'coil photo', I added them afterwards so to be able to easily identify each 'side' of the Tcoils.

Am thinking there may be something to the 'direction of the coil windings' (clockwise vs. counter-clockwise? outside winds vs. inside winds?) that 'affects the effect'. Have spent all day trying to get my head around this.

Regardless of what's causing this, with my rig, there is a 'high RPM' and a 'low RPM' way to set-it-up.
---------------------
---------------------------------
--------------------------------------------

Last edited by Axle on Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:29 am; edited 8 times in total

Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:53 am PostPost subject:
overconfident
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Axle wrote:

OC, due to the fact that the two coils are wound with different size wire and have a different total number of turns, well let's just say that the quadfi wound toroid WINS this round of testing with flying colors.

Not quite the 1-to-1 test I was hoping for, but interesting anyway. I'll keep following your progress.

Thanx,
OC

BTW, you might find some of my rants about remanence and magnetic bias on OU.com and moletrap to be of interest.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:00 am PostPost subject:
Magluvin
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Well here is something to think about. What way are you flipping the tc?
From the top view, are you rotating it 180 deg, or does the bottom become the top?
If you are rotating it as if it were on a vertical axis, then the winding orientation will be the same Either way. But bottoms up flip, will change where the wires go in and out of the coil.
I need to think about this a bit also. =] Never said I was perfect. But I have some Idears. ;] Thats what Senior says on oc choppers. Idears. lol

I would try the test to see if the rotor goes from 30 to 40 after running for a while. This will confirm Harveys solution but letting the core magnetize the opposite way. If it does not change then you may have a new criteria going on here.
Fun aint it?

Im out see ya tomorrow.

mags

Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:02 am PostPost subject:
Magluvin
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

One more thing before sleeps, is this the first time you have gotten 400+ rpms?

You will have to try the old cores with this reversal process to confirm the quadfi results.

Mags

Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:08 am PostPost subject:
Axle
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

400+ RPM with one Tcoil, YES!!!
Thanks Mags, Great Stuff, your bifilar [multifilar] winding technique !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:24 pm PostPost subject:
Magluvin
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Only 1 coil? Oh my. I suppose that should answer Oc's question somewhat.
Wink

Its funny how much work, time and thinking it takes to make, or lets say remake, these breakthrough discoveries. And soon everyone will be jumping on that boat.

But here is a suggestion for you Axe in order to stand out among the rest real quick.
Get that rotor smoothed out. Get that thing rigged with 16 mag sections. And 16 cores.
If you want to generate output and make it substantial, lets bring this thing to the 21st century. Using 1.5v and 4 drivers is just old school. And steorn is riding that little wave. You can get better eff at higher speeds if the wind resistance is low, assumong the bearings are ready for this also. My electric bike has a hub motor with 54 coils, sectioned in 3 sets of 18. It is most eff at top speed, 25mph, while dragging My 220 lb butt around, and the bike is 80 lb.
You may think that the mags and cores may be too close, but when those cores are turning on and of in sequence, it will be all torque and speed with no lag in between. That equals short pulses and mostly recoverable energy used in bemf.
Then get that gen going. If the gen rotor is smaller in dia. then I would go to 32 mags there. This will provide quick pole changes on a smaller dia rotor simulating a fast larger rotor. Then move the charge coils in till you are producing more than what was used to run the thing. =] The windmill gen stuff is a good guide for direction there.

Havnt steered ya wrong yet. And its your baby. Wink I am in Solid State mode at the moment, as in no moving parts. But the same tech is involved.

Maluvin

Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:11 pm PostPost subject:
Magluvin
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Well guys, this is off topic of steorn but is very on topic for free energy.

LaFonte group has a way to turn off a magnetic field without work.
I saw it and I am 120% in belief with out a doubt.

his is what anyone into this stuff has been waiting for and here it is. =]

http://www.youtube.com/user/LaFonteGroup

I just cannot breathe. This is it fellas. Bang bang.

Magluvinit

Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:35 pm PostPost subject:
Harvey
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Yeah it's a new twist on a very old technolgy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_clamp

But I think there is work needed to turn the magnet and overcome the moments involved.

I have been thinking about your comment to Axle on the smaller diameter rotor, more magnets and coils stuff. How do we get past the 'neighbor' problem where the magnets are attracted backwards to the preceding cores? Wouldn't that arrangement require much smaller magnets in both strength and size and coils to work without interfering? Like I said before, on the occlusion method, the RPM is dictated by the angular displacement of the core as is the pulse duration.

So, here is a new thought to throw out there. Narrow, vertical cores with very little inductance and a vertical array of strong tiny horseshoe magnets in the rotor. This gives a lot of torque with a small angular displacement and a very tight pulse width. Then, save the BEMF (it needs to be delayed to allow core attraction to the next set) and at the end of the attraction period, dump that BEMF through the next core to occlude it. Now, if you really want to get fancy, have the pole faces of the magnets ground with a concave surface. This give the flux a focal point which you can set as the core distance. I suppose I probably should have patented this concept before sharing it with the world, but there 'ya go.

BTW, regarding the electric bike, that doesn't use occlusion technology does it? So it doesn't matter if a magnet is back attracted to a core because they use raw power to force it the other way. I don't think we can have the magnets pass a core without either energizing the coil around the core or having a negative torque applied to the system by the reverse attraction. So that sort of shoots us in the foot if we want a 3 phase system like your hub motor and still keep the same magnet to coil ratio. I think in an occlusion design we will be forced to reduce the ratio by what ever phases we add. In other words, if we have a 3 phase system, we will need 3 coils to each magnet set and will have to ensure that coil 1 and coil 3 are far enough apart that reverse attraction does not occur and then we are faced with having to use momentum to carry us beyond TDC. It is all doable, but just a bit messy.

Cool

Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:21 am PostPost subject:
Magluvin
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Hey Harv

As I looked at the maggen thing more, I was a bit back an forth with, is it just a 2 pole alternator? Or could this work?
But maybe the small gaps are key here. I was also reminded of the magnetic clamp afterward. But in the femm plot, It does seem to put a perspective on things. Like the clamp, the function happens, and with the large gaps, yes getting the mag to break away from the cores would require a bit of work. But sometimes it is the amount of ingredients that makes things taste good or bad. =]

In the more mags and tc on the Axorb, I see it working just fine. As one set releases the mag, the next is attracting, not just idling onward to the next attraction so far away. I wasnt really suggesting to do a 3 phase, yet. =]
My bike example was just an image of what a real motor is and can do.
The mags on the hub drum are 2 x 1/2 x 1.8 in with a hair curve to them. And the power is amazing. I have some of the Ossie motor guys a bit syked about going more also. But they are using the coils as stator mags, non orbo. But they get what I am saying. Lets get real and stop steorning around. I think that if steorn had a motor that was made the way I suggest, the demo would make that much more of an impression on everyone while still getting good eff. If it used 20w to run it, that doesnt mean it is not efficient. Look at our high tension power lines, many thousands of volts to be more eff. only to be transformed down to be safer to use down here.

Also the smaller rotor I was talking about was for the axgen as to keep those mags away from the motor part while also keeping things compact.
It can be done many ways.

Mags

Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:06 am PostPost subject:
Axle
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I'm having fun...

1,090 RPM with the new rotor [first test run].
One Tcoil [Magluvin multifilar].
1.2v EnerCell battery powered.

My best rotor yet. [runs true and balanced]

-----------------------
-----------------------------------

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:48 am PostPost subject:
Harvey
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Good Stuff!

Cool

Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:51 am PostPost subject:
Magluvin
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Nice makeover. Wink
Some ideas

if you had an iron post on the inside of the mag pairs to connect them, like a rod vertical in the rotor just on the inside so that the rod or pin makes physical contact with the top and bottom, the outer fields of the mags will be a bit stronger. By closing that side of the circuit, the pair will act like one big horse shoe mag. It will take your rpms up a notch. yip Drill some post holes in 3 places so you can try less mags also.
All of this will give you a lot to document as to what can be had through variation. If the rotor is lighter with less mags and the iron post, rpms could go higher real quick.
Closing off that back section of the mags is what most motor manufacturers do to maximize. They even use a ring that would connect all of them to. But here pins are easy and will help. Mylow had it also, and it was probably the only legit thing he had going on that fishing rig.

I would say 16 tc's 2 reeds, and you will be approaching over 3000 to 4000 rpms. I am under estimating everything as to what I actually think for shock factor. lol Now go get another beer. hehe, you will need it. And if your rotor is more balanced, it will be good for more rpms.

had a wild idea that with 16 tc's, the space between them would be narrow, but gen coils could be made narrow. But as I thought about how you have the pairs of mags and can close off the insides to horse shoe them, you can try some u bolts for gen cores that line up with the mag pares between the tc's. Now here is the wild part.
The gen coils will get a fast pulse from the mags after the tc releases the mags field and literally in an instant jump to the gen coil posts and then to the next tc as the rotor continues. Just experiment with one at first to see what haps, to play with distance and see how it affects performance. I think it will be a gen of choice without weighing down the rotor any further. i would not be concerned immediately with any interactions till you try for results from the tests. And if things look good, fugedaboudit. lol

And finally, if you want to shorten the pulses, move the reed out about 1/2 in beyond the rotor even activating it, and bring a small mag near the reeds outer end, what ever polarity gets it clicking with the rotor. the outer mags pole should be S aiming at the reed if N is on the rotor facing the reed. This will give you some true pulse width adjustment as in getting very short pulses if needed all the way to the outer mag being close enough to the reed to keep it closed till the rotor mag opens it. At higher and higher rpms, You may want to lengthen the pulses because the speed makes them too short. You will appreciate the adjust ability.

Ok, back to work. Im making a fiberglass engine cover for Jason Taylors custom 67 gto. My shop is across from Big Dicks Muscle Cars, and they have me do some custom stuff for them. They put a 26000 dollar supercharged corvette motor in it and the plastic cover says corvette and a chevy symbol, that I made to be gto and a pontiac arrow head emblem. It also had to be longer in the rear due to more space behind the motor to the firewall as compared to the vette.
Fun fun fun, and itchy. =]
Ill bust out some pics of the build and the finished piece, and if you see him on cribs or something, maybe he will open that hood and you can say hey I know who did that cover. ;]

magsass is glass

Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:17 pm PostPost subject:
overconfident
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Harvey wrote:

Now, if you really want to get fancy, have the pole faces of the magnets ground with a concave surface. This give the flux a focal point which you can set as the core distance. I suppose I probably should have patented this concept before sharing it with the world, but there 'ya go.

Don't know about grinding the surface of the magnet itself, but I recall reading a paper a couple years ago where they analyzed the shape of pole pieces and determined the shape for optimum field concentration in the gap between the pole pieces. IIRC, it was concave in the center and chamfered around the outside edge.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:26 pm PostPost subject:
overconfident
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Axle wrote:

Beautiful work!

Have you considered magamp cores, like Finemet or Supermendur? They have much better saturation characteristics than ferrites.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:55 pm PostPost subject:
Harvey
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

overconfident wrote:
Harvey wrote:

Now, if you really want to get fancy, have the pole faces of the magnets ground with a concave surface. This give the flux a focal point which you can set as the core distance. I suppose I probably should have patented this concept before sharing it with the world, but there 'ya go.

Don't know about grinding the surface of the magnet itself, but I recall reading a paper a couple years ago where they analyzed the shape of pole pieces and determined the shape for optimum field concentration in the gap between the pole pieces. IIRC, it was concave in the center and chamfered around the outside edge.

The magnets I am referring to definitely need to be custom made - the entire stack needs to be properly engineered and professionally manufactured. I'm thinking far beyond the garage tinkering and taking it straight to real world application.

I am happy to see that Mags has grasped why I recommend the horseshoes. If you look carefully you will see it in my BEMF videos. Steorn has yet to grasp this one even though I posted the matter months ago. I was among the first also to recommend the torus there as well. Somehow I get satisfaction from seeing my concepts come to reality whether I play a part in it or not.

I have a new motor design which far exceeds the torque of these concepts which I am seeking to patent. So I cannot give it all away Wink

Cool

Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:15 am PostPost subject:
Harvey
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Hi Guys, here is the stack I had envisaged:

Click Here For Larger Image

Also, here is a schematic representation for the Elliptical Toroidal Coils switching for full BEMF Capture:

Click Here For Larger Image

Cheers,

Cool

Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:23 am PostPost subject:
Axle
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Awesome Harvey,

I still struggle with the BEMF capture thing.

But, WOW!! Your 'stack configuration' is SUPER SWEET !

I was thinking today that even with my new
[better aerodynamic/less air drag] rotor, the thing is still pushing alot of air around.
Air drag at high, and REALLY high RPM is, I suspect, the biggest limiting factor.
Maybe a HIGH torque, relatively LOW RPM, design is a better approach.
I won't be venturing into that 'realm' though. That's for someone else.

Am glad to see you and Magluvin agree on the 'horseshoe magnet' thing. It is something I can add without too much difficulty. It's on my 'front burner', as far as improvements.

---------------------------------------------

Mags, you have MANY good ideas. I need to 'sort through them' to see what [maybe] to incorporate into this thing. Rolling Eyes

Magluvin wrote:

... bring a small mag near the reeds outer end...This will give you some true pulse width adjustment...

Mags!! This is a GREAT IDEA! It works! Have had it set-up for about a weeks time. Am using a relatively weak Alnico magnet superglued to the outside of the white plastic tubing that I use to secure the reed.

I too give Mylow credit for....something...
Introducing me to the merits of superglue. Razz
-------------------------------------------------

OC, regarding using different core materials. At this time, I'm just going to play around with the cores that I have. The [Magluvin multifilar] coil wind worked out well, in many ways. Not only the excellent idea from Mags, but also how my wire-diameter/toroid-size/number-of-turns 'mesh' so well together. It's TIGHT, it's a SWEET wind. Also, what's up with the 'directional/inside-outside/high RPM-low RPM/ orientation thing that I'm 'reading'. I have no idea. It's not a random thing. I can 'use it', don't understand it tho. What is TK doing? any tests? Does he detect 'IT'? I see he is going 'balls-to-the-wall' at moletrap.

..am rambling a bit..

Great stuff...all for now...
Thanks for the good words!!
----------------------------
-------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------

Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:06 pm PostPost subject:
Magluvin
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Thats an awesome setup harvey.
But this guy on you tube explains it in greater detail and its already been done.
you have to see the whole thing to get the gist of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDgQg6bq7o&feature=player_embedded#

Mags

Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:39 pm PostPost subject:
Harvey
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Hi Axle,

Thanx for the props, but I agree that Mags is the 'hands on' expert here and there is no substitute for real world experimentation.

Regarding the movement of the rotor magnets resulting in a flip-flop of the RPM statistics, it could be that there is an imbalance between some of the magnets giving either N or S a preference to the core. This could be a cumulative thing, where the sum of all the N field density changes are greater or lesser than the sum of all the S field density changes. This would have the tendency to magnetize the core Top and Bottom polarized as well as through polarized (S close to the magnet means N farther away) - especially if the motor is left in an off state with the magnets aligned with the cores for an appreciable amount of time.

To help prevent this type of issue, perhaps you can alternate your pairs, N on top, then the next set S on top. This will have the tendency to deqauss the system. Things will be more consistent, but then you would probably only have a top speed of 350.

Whatever is happening, it appears that the cores are developing (or already have) a grain where the domains prefer to be oriented around the torus one way instead of the other. This could actually be the result of rotor direction. When the coils are off, the dipoles in the domains point toward the approaching magnets like compass needles, this is a physical process. So as the magnets pass, the dipoles, and entire domains, rotate in a specific direction. This effect is lesser at the distance farther from the magnets. So when we energize the coil, we are turning those dipoles and domains perpendicular to the magnets and depending on the coil polarity, we will be either working with the magnets to essential finish turning the domains to parallel, or we will be working against the magnets forcing the domains to go against the flow.

So, it would seem, that we want to turn the domains such that for a clockwise rotor rotation, the domains rotate in a counter clockwise direction to align with the coil field. Imagine the top magnet is N approaching, this means the domains will have their S dipoles pointing at that magnet as it passes. Looking down on the assembly, we could see those little compass needles turning and if we imagine the coil field needed to cause them to continue turning then we would have the correct polarity - in this case the B should move against the rotor direction for N. And if you ponder it, you will find that the correct polarity for the top of the toroid will also be for the bottom. This is no doubt where the gain is coming from, the physical domain inertia involved - you are ether working with it or fighting it. Now what would be really interesting, would be to find the natural momentum of those dipole rotations and synchronize all the timing so that they just keep turning right around. In fact, it would seem that a polarity reversal would be in order. First we pass the N set with the dipoles S facing, then we pass the S set with the dipoles N facing and we just synchronize it to keep them turning in circles.

Now let me really get your brains working. Imagine one large toroid around the edge of the entire rotor, so that both are laying in the same plane. Now, imagine that we get the domains turning at a specific speed inside that toroid. Do you think with special coils we could create a wave of domain turning so that they don't all turn together, but instead in a sequence? Then that wave would have a crests and troughs that correspond to the N and S on our rotor (alternating magnets around the rotor). The rotor would be in constant attraction trying to catch up with the wave.
This concept is presented here for understanding and is not part of the public domain. All rights reserved URAD 1982 - 2010

Cheers,

Cool

Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:06 pm PostPost subject:
Harvey
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Magluvin wrote:
Thats an awesome setup harvey.
But this guy on you tube explains it in greater detail and its already been done.
you have to see the whole thing to get the gist of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDgQg6bq7o&feature=player_embedded#

Mags

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!

I laughed so hard I nearly pissed my pants. Thanks Mags, I really enjoyed that. How on earth did he keep a straight face? FANTASTIC!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:51 pm PostPost subject:
Magluvin
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Lol I was on the floor too
I had to present it that way for anticipated value. ;]
He has another one that is not so good of quality vid but it starts out the same but gets deeper into the lingo.
Laughter, its priceless.

Mags

Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:11 am PostPost subject:
overconfident
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Axle wrote:

OC, regarding using different core materials.

The materials I mentioned above are commonly used in magnetic amplifiers and saturable reactors. There are others, but I mentioned these for a reason.

1) High Bsat (saturation flux density) allows for stronger attraction force and more torque when magnets are close to the material.

2) Very high permeability allows better attraction at a distance, gives a better inductivity ratio between magnet near and far positions for better flyback recovery (that 8% extra Steorn mentions).

3) Low coercivity allows saturation with minimal electrical input.

4) Very high remanence. In a DC electrical environment where there is very little coercive force, the material retains much of its magnetization, reducing the input power requirement to achieve repeated saturation.

Summary: more torque and easier saturation

(I recently heard that some saturable cores (Metglas and Finemet) seem to be vanishing from retailer's and distributor's shelves, "out of stock". I'm wondering if there might be some serious Orbo investigation going on somewhere.)

Last edited by overconfident on Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:28 am PostPost subject:
Magluvin
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

I have seen this too of the metglas cores becoming scarce. Well if they are easier to saturate then maybe we can make our own, cuz the dense metal ones I have are only going to saturate withe som super power coil. So I visualize a less dense iron content mixed in resin. Iron powder, graphite, maybe a sprinkle of aluminum for desired effects of such.
Im going to look into it a bit. Oc Do you know anything about the makings of a metglas core?

Mags

Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:37 am PostPost subject:
overconfident
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Harvey wrote:

To help prevent this type of issue, perhaps you can alternate your pairs, N on top, then the next set S on top. This will have the tendency to deqauss the system. Things will be more consistent, but then you would probably only have a top speed of 350.

Harvey and I appear to be at odds here, and since we are both just armchair mechanics in this respect, I think some experimentation might be in order to substantiate our claims. I think what he is saying would be right if you were powering the coils with an AC current and using alternating magnet polarities.

But, if you are using a DC current and your magnets always present the same polarity, you can leverage the remanence to your advantage to increase your torque and reduce your electrical input requirements. The remanent magnetization leaves the core in a partially saturated state, thus requires less energy to resaturate on the next pass. As long as the core is not being degaussed with alternating current or magnetic fields, you should get better performance from a remanent core material. That's one of the "features" of square loop materials used in magamps and saturable core reactors.

You will have to take care not to allow a reverse current to flow in your coils (redirect the flyback spike with a flyback diode).

Use the force, Luke.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:48 am PostPost subject:
overconfident
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Magluvin wrote:
I have seen this too of the metglas cores becoming scarce. Well if they are easier to saturate then maybe we can make our own, cuz the dense metal ones I have are only going to saturate withe som super power coil. So I visualize a less dense iron content mixed in resin. Iron powder, graphite, maybe a sprinkle of aluminum for desired effects of such.
Im going to look into it a bit. Oc Do you know anything about the makings of a metglas core?

Mags

Personally, I don't think Metglas is the best material to use. It has a lower Bsat than the materials I mentioned, similar to ferrites. But Paul Lowrance is convinced it's the way to go. It definitely has the highest permeability. But as I said above, I think there are other factors to consider.

According to Metglas, here's how it is made"

"Formed by a rapid solidification process, the metal cools at a rate of one million degrees Celsius per second, resulting in an atomic structure similar to that of glass."

Most cores are made from Metglas tape and then specially annealed. I doubt you'd have much luck rolling your own.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:08 am PostPost subject:
Magluvin
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

lol rolling my own. Eh ya never know. ;]

But I see a point in not making the cores so dense that it is hard to saturate them.

There this guy Gotoluc doing a project that uses resonance in the core to self run.
He has a 12v bat running a 555 to time the mosfet pulser, but from there to the cap and coil it is all 1.2v.
If you have a tcoil, there wont be a resonant thing going on with it. But when you introduce a magnet to the tcoil/core you have just created a high string in a piano.
You will now have a freq below rf that will show 0 current draw, the 1.2v bat can be removed and the cap that was in parallel takes over as a source and starts climbing.

They are investigating if the voltage rise on the source cap is coming from the gate input of the mosfet. I wouldnt think so. Field effect is different than a transistor.

Thes toroids are really a popular item this year that is for sure. If we could come up with a sweet resin mix, there might be big money in it. lol heck embed the coils in the muck. lol I dunno. things are a bit exciting these days. More and more people are waking up and doing than ever before.

Mags

View previous topic
View next topic