EvilScotsman Motor

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | WhipMag Discussion/Development    Page 1 of 1

Fri May 08, 2009 1:54 pm PostPost subject:
evilscotsman
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hey guys, check this out - its just a crazy idea I had the other night, some imagination required lol - once spun, it just may keep going as the force to push the mag away is less than the repulsion on the approach of the next mag....: or attraction which can be turned into repulsion by the retaining pin, or the stator can be fixed and work in repulsion constantly...the rotor mag is shown in 2 positions but is one magnet, I know its a bit vague but I have a gut instinct that it could work with tweaking of the idea.

Fri May 08, 2009 2:18 pm PostPost subject:
diffident
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Greetings, you Evilscotsman,

Looks like an idea that will work in your head provided the stator is stationary. If I didn't have to work right now I would throw this together is short order. Any positive result at all, I would add a couple more rotor magnets. I wonder what would happen if the stator could rotate slightly. I'm itchin' to try it out. I'll bet by the time I'll have time to get to it, somebody will have already done so. You, maybe.

Cheers,

diffident Very Happy

Fri May 08, 2009 2:24 pm PostPost subject:
overconfident
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Sorry. This idea deserves a thread of its own.

Fri May 08, 2009 5:55 pm PostPost subject:
evilscotsman
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi Diffident, you're welcome to do that mate, havent built this but its here free to anyone who could do anything with it just like the other ideas on the forum, I would love you to try it out. I would if I had the bits but at the moment due to new job, I dont have the mags or workshop to build anything just now Sad

Hey OC, no problem, thanks!
It was your latches and pivots that got me thinking how to engineer that - and this idea came to me...

Fri May 08, 2009 6:14 pm PostPost subject:
chrisbis
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

evilscotsman,

YO-YO-YO inventer!!

Have u plotted out all the possible points the two magnets could find themselves in
in two complete rotations? (thats the rotor and stator)
U know, just by cutting out ur idea in card and laying it out on a table- bit Tony Hart
style!!

Might give u the answers ur after- or altern- ask Magluvin nicely, to anim8 it in crocodile style.

Sat May 09, 2009 11:56 am PostPost subject:
evilscotsman
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi Chris, cheers!

Nah haven't yet but may try and knock up a tester sometime this week. But....if MAgluvin would like to model it in 3D.....that would be spiffy Smile

Sat May 09, 2009 6:01 pm PostPost subject:
Magluvin
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Beam me up Scotty.
I would say it would be worth trying due to the simplicity.
What I see happening, and thats all we would see if I animate it, is the 2 opposing poles doing just that, opposing. The spring function may not even come into play unless, it is so weak, that what ever force is getting the rotor to even get the 2 poles to get close to each other, needs to be greater. Now as a single function per rotation, as you have shown, there would be no force to provide force in the direction that you show. But if multiples were setup, there may be some possibilities. Also if there are multiples, the angle that the rotor mags move inward may not have to be so much. Maybe springs would not be needed being that the poles facing the inner side of the rotor may already enable a magnetic spring action, and all you need are pivots and stops. Then as rpms go higher, centrifugal force can hinder the movement of the pivoted rotor magnets.
It would have to be tried. If I did animate it, it would most likely be a guess as to the real function of what would really happen.

It is all trial and error. Magnet ideas play some serious tricks with our minds. I think it is mostly because we cannot see whats going on, so we are blind to what is really going on elsewhere while concentrating on a particular function.

Magluvin

Sat May 09, 2009 8:29 pm PostPost subject:
Magluvin
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

This was an idea that I thought was very interesting. I posted it a while back but there were no comments really.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9PA-kWvDss&feature=channel_page

The way the arm and rotor interact seem very positive.

Magluvin

Sat May 09, 2009 8:35 pm PostPost subject:
Harvey
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Magluvin wrote:

... It is all trial and error. Magnet ideas play some serious tricks with our minds. I think it is mostly because we cannot see whats going on, so we are blind to what is really going on elsewhere while concentrating on a particular function.

Insightful.
It has been proven statistically that the scientific mind is more gullable (there is a word thats not in the dictionary*) than the minds of street smart grade school dropout. The suspected reason for this is that the scientific mind formulates possiblilities to explain the seemingly impossible and is therefore more disposed to believe something is possible than the hard knocked mind of the under-educated. The life experiences of the under-eductated will predominate and often, at a young age, these persons are taken advantage of, fooled, pranked and fleeced. As a result, they develop a protective barrier of skepticism and often seek to protect other would be victims. An even stronger situation is the jilted scientific mind. These persons at first believe, and then when they are defrauded in some way, become intensely involved in protecting the 'innocent' to the point of bullying them into submission. Such is the case with Desertphile. So, many of the scientifically minded skeptics will have a horror story to tell of how they were once deceived, but few will discuss it out of pride. But inside, they want to believe and the skepticism is only a temporary protective barrier. Faced with real data, the scientific mind will easily be changed in line with the reality, whereas the street smart mind will peer into the data looking for the trick.

With the area of unknown or unseen forces there is a lot of latitude in what we can imagine. The street smart fellow will look at the two magnets and exclaim "so what", interesting toy, you have nothing. The scientific mind will look at it and say, "how does it work?". We certainly play tricks with our own minds, but solving the puzzle is part of the enjoyment. Sometimes taking the wrong road is just as enlightening and enjoyable as taking the right one. But, of course, it's important to complete the journey on the right road.

* Actually, gullible is the prefered spelling, but gullable is accepted. The joke is, that a gullable person will believe you when you tell them the words is not real. Double entandre, because the person himself is gullible, and he is not in the dictionary and the meaning of the sentance is to infer that a gullible person will believe the word is not there either.

Cool

Sat May 09, 2009 10:43 pm PostPost subject:
evilscotsman
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

yeah i just showed 1 rotor magnet, but would need scaled up. It was just an idea to kick about.....

Sun May 10, 2009 7:35 am PostPost subject:
chrisbis
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Harvey,

Way to go ColonelwikiHarvel.

"More news and travel on the hour"

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | WhipMag Discussion/Development
View previous topic
View next topic