Blacklight Power and Rowan University Study

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | Skeptics, sceptics, and Cynics    Page 1 of 1

Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:10 pm PostPost subject: Blacklight Power and Rowan University Study
Thicket
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Blacklight Power has done it again. To pump up their claims of legitimacy, they paid for a technical study by Rowan University. Calorimetry tests were done on a proprietary material.

http://www.blacklightpower.com/pdf/BLPIndependentReport.pdf

Here are the basics on the tests for the 'large' 50kW unit.

* Heat up 1.5 kg of proprietary material with 800 watts of power.
* Observe that the temperature of the proprietary material rises to 750 degrees C.
* Calculate that there was 1 million joules more energy generated than was used to heat the proprietary material.

I have no idea what the proprietary material is. Let me pick a possible exotic substance. I pick wood.

The heat generated from burning 1.5 kg of wood is about 23 million joules. If I used a match to light the wood, the matchhead temperature would be about 750 degrees C.

To generate 1 million joules of excess energy, I would need to burn less than 5% percent of my wood.

I know that the proprietary material is not wood. It could be coal, a solid impregnated with oil, a solid with chemically-bound hydrogen that releases and burns when heated --- heck, it could be lots of very ordinary stuff.

I saw no obvious errors in the Rowan University Study. However, anyone who thinks that the university study somehow demonstrates a new energy source from a lower resting state of hydrogen is smoking funny stuff.

(Yeah, I have a Bachelor's and Master's degree in Chemical Engineering, and 33 years of energy experience, so I know what I'm talking about.)

Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:17 pm PostPost subject:
overconfident
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

FWIW: At least part of the BlackLight research funding has apparently been provided by NASA.

Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:35 pm PostPost subject:
Thicket
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

overconfident wrote:
FWIW: At least part of the BlackLight research funding has apparently been provided by NASA.

Indeed. The final Phase 1 report from Rowan University was interesting.

Summarizing

* They performed a number of test on thrusters using a Hydrogen/Neon gas mixture. Measurements on the practicality of using these thrusters were not done in Phase 1. (not sure if there ever was a Phase II)
* They confirmed spectroscopic and other measurement anomalies in gas mixtures including hydrogen.
* Separately, they did water bath/microwave calorimetry test on various gas mixtures and verified anomalous excess energy generation. They could not determine the source of the excess energy although they did speculate on possible sources.

Very cool work. It seems to be more professional than their 2008 calorimetry work. Nevertheless, there is no plausible link between this research and the claim of a lower resting state for hydrogen.

Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:50 pm PostPost subject:
Thicket
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

It looks like Blacklight Power has found another suck... err... investor.

http://earth2tech.com/2008/12/11/blacklight-says-its-signed-county-coop-as-first-customer/

Pretty small company though.

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | Skeptics, sceptics, and Cynics
View previous topic
View next topic