Whipmag with an orbiting stator

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | WhipMag Discussion/Development Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5   Page 5 of 5

Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:08 pm PostPost subject:
Yadaraf
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

overconfident wrote:
Yadaraf wrote:

.. Q: I don't recall seeing a pic of how your rotor is mounted to the base, and I was wondering if you one?

Here's all the parts MADPROF sent me, laid out on the mounting template. The shaft assembly (top right corner) is screwed to the center of the wooden base (an 18" diameter pine tabletop) with 4 brass wood screws.

http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll48/overconfident/PartsAndPieces/?action=view&current=d001.jpg

@OC

Thanks much. I understand now. The rotor is mounted on a small plastic base (with spindle), which is then attached to a much larger circular wooden base via four screws.

Cheers Smile
Yada ..

Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:25 am PostPost subject:
Yadaraf
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

overconfident wrote:
Yes, I have considered it. But I'm hanging around here because 1) most interested people know we're here, 2) the forum meets most of our needs, 3) nobody here has been too offensive with their attacks, 4) I keep hoping Al will make an appearance and contribute something interesting

OC

@OC

Got it. Thanks.

Cheers Smile
Yada ..

Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:23 am PostPost subject:
Harvey
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Saw this and thought...hmmm wonder if that would move magnets in and out in a rythmic pattern somehow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2vRkXoTWqc&NR=1

Cheers

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:43 pm PostPost subject:
overconfident
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

@Harvey,

Definitely some interesting geometry there. I'll have to file that for more desparate days. ;^)

OC

Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:59 pm PostPost subject:
buggyirk
Contributor
Contributor

overconfident wrote:
@Harvey,

Definitely some interesting geometry there. I'll have to file that for more desparate days. ;^)

OC

Check out the accual website for the company. There is a longer version of the same video. At 1:48 in the video there is this hand cranked gear box with a red arrow thingy in the video. What you might find interesting is how it's rotation is not the same as the person cranking the gears. It kind of lags. It's very cool. Maybe there could be some use for this in your whipmag. Here is the direct link:

http://www.8625plus2.com/products/ncg-all.wmv

Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:19 pm PostPost subject:
MADPROF
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

@OC

Work on the Dream Machine has started.

At present our stator has Two pole positions 180 degs apart. I have a con fig where we can have Three position 120 degs apart.

Pos 1. very strong attract

Pos 2. About half the strength of pos 1.

pos 3. Repel OR zero force OR slight attract, depending on distance from other magnet.

Q. could you do anything with this ? Smile

Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:50 pm PostPost subject:
overconfident
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

MADPROF wrote:
@OC

Work on the Dream Machine has started.

At present our stator has Two pole positions 180 degs apart. I have a con fig where we can have Three position 120 degs apart.

Pos 1. very strong attract

Pos 2. About half the strength of pos 1.

pos 3. Repel OR zero force OR slight attract, depending on distance from other magnet.

Q. could you do anything with this ? :)

It sounds interesting but I'm having a hard time visualizing it. Can you make a drawing or take a photo? My dream was about magnetic relationships that are continuously changing and asymmetrical.

Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:11 pm PostPost subject:
MADPROF
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

@OC

I saw this in your whipmag when you had a Tri gate around it.

Three steel balls with 3 rotor mags rotor mags between them. Now if you removed the balls and replace with shaped pole pieces, and fasten it to a off centre bearing you might have something.

Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:31 pm PostPost subject:
overconfident
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

MADPROF wrote:
@OC

I saw this in your whipmag when you had a Tri gate around it.

Three steel balls with 3 rotor mags rotor mags between them. Now if you removed the balls and replace with shaped pole pieces, and fasten it to a off centre bearing you might have something.

Sounds eccentric, even kinky. I don't know if I'm ready for something like that just yet. There's still a lot of things I want to try with the rig you already sent me. The wooden building block stators have got my attention at the moment and will most likely keep me occupied for quite a while.

No OU but I noticed some interesting interactions when I had 10 or more of the little 5mm stators spaced in pairs around the rotor. They interact with each other and with the rotor. I am now playing with just a couple pairs of them, trying to isolate the interaction so I can better understand it (could be similar interactions as the 2 stators Al stopped in his video).

OC

Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:57 pm PostPost subject:
Pageygeeza
Contributor
Contributor

I've been reading through this thread and i've found some very interesting stuff.
Recently I've been working on my own type of magnetic motor, i've not built anything yet as it's all theoretical, but I have a good idea it would work if I could build it.
Basically it's using repulsion as it's form of propulsion. It's repulsion is directly linked to the flywheel rotation.

Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:38 pm PostPost subject:
alsetalokin
Site Admin

I'm sure many folks would be interested in learning more about your idea, even if it is "repulsive"...
Smile

Thu May 01, 2008 7:49 am PostPost subject:
Pageygeeza
Contributor
Contributor

Lolz, thanks.

Firstly i'm using a larger diameter flywheel which will be geared to another mech wich will be the firing mech. The gear reatio will be matched to the amount of magnets used on the flywheel. So that the firing mech will do it's thing at the right time. I have several ideas on the firing mech, some simple, some not so.

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | WhipMag Discussion/Development
View previous topic
View next topic