Measurements & calculations

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | WhipMag Discussion/Development Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 2 of 4

Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:11 pm PostPost subject:
Wunderland
Contributor
Contributor

overconfident wrote:
Wunderland wrote:

... an inaccuracy of 1mm is affecting the leading / lagging effects very strong!

Excellent work Wunderland. See my previous post about modifying the distance or position of the rotor magnets. If 1mm can make that much difference, maybe 2mm can make even more difference. Asymmetry is our friend.

OC

I've adjusted my stator magnets exactly.
The leading effect of Fig. 5 (GW mode) still exist but became weaker.

It may be interesting to modify the position of the rotor magnets.
I am measuring only one rotor magnet at the moment.
If this magnet is leading in some kind, some other rotor magnets cold be lagging anyway.

==> I can't analyze the rotor magnet-displacement on this way.

I will try to connect the stator to a resistance strain gauge.
But results will need some time - maybe after my holiday - so please be patient!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A new experiment:
A new sensor coil is sensing the radial Flux of stator & rotor.
I can move the coil surround the rotor.

Coil data: d=9mm / n=35 turns

Fig. 7: Position of the sensor coil

The signal of the forked light barrier is still in correlation with the position of one rotor magnet.

Fig. 8:
GW-Mode: The rotor is rotating clockwise and I move the sensor coil clockwise, too.

You can see 5 traces:
-10mm / -5mm / 0mm / 5mm / 10mm distance of the sensor coil to the closest stator position (turning surround rotor clockwise).

You can see some little asymmetries, but they could be some inaccuracies as well.

Fig. 9: Moving the sensor coil -20mm .. 20mm with infinite peristance:

Puh - can this picture tell us anything?

Remember: this is only the voltage - not the flux.
I can't use the integrator in this situation, because of two requirements:
- u=0 at the beginning of integration
- du/dt=0 at the beginning of integration
Both is not the case.

It seems like this experiment (sensor coil surround rotor) don't bring us any further...

Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:04 pm PostPost subject:
overconfident
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

@Wunderland,

Very interesting curves. In the second one, if you compare the left and right sides, you will see that they are not mirror images. There is definitely asymmetry here as well.

Have you tried deliberately repositioning the rotor magnets off-center in their slots by 1 or 2 mm?

Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:17 am PostPost subject:
Harvey
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

These last two images are the same as those that Al and Myself produced. Al used a Rogowski Coil with an amplified probe. I used a handmade sensor designed for sensitivity since my probes will not detect energy below .01 V/Div.

The amplitude (voltage) of the signal is time sensitive as is the duration.

The current of the signal is flux sensitive and is restricted by our probe resistance.

It is important to undertand the dynamics of the measuring equipment and how it relates to the input signal. Scope probes contain resistors and capacitors to help balance the coaxial leads and these are frequency sensitive. These components will (and do) react with the source impedance. In this case our source is inductive. This form of energy has specific phase characteristics common to household AC.

One of the normal characteristics of an inductive source is a push during inversion transistion. In other words, when the real source stops producing EMF the inductors magnetic field will collapse into the inductor and continue to push EMF in the same direction it was already traveling. This can be viewed oppositely from two different reference frames. In frame 1 an already flowing current will continue to flow after the source flux has been removed. In frame 2 a non-flowing charge will fail to flow even though movement of the flux has been observed. In Frame 1 (as already stated) the cause is due to the collapsing magnetic field. In Frame 2 the cause is due to the building (or expanding) of the magnetic field. It is important to realize the magnetic fields of these reference frames is the result of current flowing in a sensor coil. The flux to provide current flow is provided by the B field of the permanent magnets being used.

Consequently, the energy produced in Wunderlands radial sensor is a product of two interacting fields. The rotor B lays in the X-Plane and follows the circumferential path of the rotor produced by XZ like the light of a flashlight sitting on the edge of a merry-go-round. The stator B also lays in the X-Plane but rotates on the Stator Y-Axis and does not have a Z translation. Consequently it is always directed outward perpendicular to the X-surface of the stator and will sweep 360 degrees like the lightbeam of a lighthouse.

The flux density of both the stator and rotor seek to equalize in the space separating them during their reaction period. If the coil is in this space it will have energy induced in it as the density changes through it.

The asymmetrical nature of the waveforms shown depicts the stator/rotor interaction timing and coil position within that interaction. Typically, the stator will produce a sinusoidal waveform with relatively smooth form. Whereas the rotor will produce a pulsular waveform. Here http://urad.net/forums/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=16 I placed different strength magnets in the rotor to demonstrate the effect they have on the sensor. I only changed two magnets to produce this result, thus six are identical. The two I changed are driectly opposite each other on the rotor. There is no stator present in those samples. Can you identify the airgap between rotor magnets? What portion of the waveform corresponds to rotor magnet body? Remember, there are 8 magnets and each has 2 poles. But there are clearly only 8 distinct poles for 360 degrees of rotation. The scope changes Y direction at the equitorial pass.

By overlaying the sinusoidal stator waveform over the pulsular rotor waveform we find that the 'airgap' of the rotor becomes flattened by the stator. Moving the sensor coil will read this summation of energy at different levels relative to time and thus you will see a drop on one side and an increase on the other side of the equitorial pass depending on the coil-stator positioning.

Sorry for the verbose post - but I thoght it important for the readers to understand what they are seeing here.

Cheers,

Harvey

Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:45 pm PostPost subject:
Wunderland
Contributor
Contributor

@Harvey
A really good explanation - thanks!
We could do that even more often: I setup some screen shots on fizzx and you explain these pictures... Wink

OK - critical & fair response is very important at this place.

Here my comments:

Harvey wrote:
It is important to undertand the dynamics of the measuring equipment and how it relates to the input signal. Scope probes contain resistors and capacitors to help balance the coaxial leads and these are frequency sensitive. These components will (and do) react with the source impedance. In this case our source is inductive. This form of energy has specific phase characteristics common to household AC.

Inductance of my sensing coil: ~ 20µH
Capacity of cable + scope: ~ 150pF

The resonance frequency of this is: 1/(2*pi*sqrt(20µH*150pF)) = 2.9 MHz
I measured 3.1 MHz with my signal generator.

The frequency inside the sensor coil is < 100 Hz ==> 31000 times smaller than the resonant frequency.

==> We don't need to expect any corruption caused by the parasitic elements.
Don't waste 20dB signal intensity with some 1:10 probes at this place.
I knew scope probes very well and I use them up to 4GHz (at work).
But I do not use them for a weak 100Hz signal.

Fig. 10: Some more analysis of the asymmetrical nature.

The rotor turns in the opposite direction as in Fig. 9 (GW as well).
The voltage is negative in this case - because of this, I mirrored the picture.

I assume that:
- identical asymmetries in Fig. 9 and 10 are caused by asymmetries in the design.
- asymmetries, which are mirrored by the Y-axis, are caused by leading/lagging or some magnetic effects.

I found, what I was looking for...

@OC
I try to set up some better measurement, first.
I try to measure the moments of the stator with some resistance strain gauges.
There are still problems with some resonances and the INA326.
I may need some better amplifier.
If everything works fine, I will move the stator magnets some mm....

Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:51 pm PostPost subject:
overconfident
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

I guess I should get serious about this, so here's some specs on the WhipMag rig MADPROF sent me. I'll fill in more of the blanks to the best of my ability as I get the data.

ROTOR:
Material: Unknown (HDPE?)
Thickness: 0.707" (18mm?)
Diameter: 5.777"
Weight: 258 grams

ROTOR BEARINGS, 2 EA (not removed so measurements may not be very accurate):
ID: 0.240" (6mm?)
OD: 0.770" (19mm?)
Thick: Unknown (can't measure accurately without removing them)

Rotor magnets (3 primary types used so far):
SuperMagnetMan: http://www.supermagnetman.net/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=115
Grade: N38
Diameter: 1/4"
Length: 1/2"
Weight x 8: 24 grams
Vertical repel gap: 1 3/16"

K&J ZD49: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZD49
Grade: N35
Length: 9/16"
Weight x 8: 27 grams
Vertical repel gap: 1 1/8"

K&J D48: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D48
Grade: N42
Vertical repel gap: 1 1/4"

K&J B448: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=B448
Width: 1/4"
Weight x 8: 30 grams

K&J B444: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=B444
Width: 1/4"
Length: 1/4"
Weight x 8: 15 grams

MagCraft NSN0818:http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/detail-ID-85.html
Grade: N40
Vertical repel gap: 1 7/32"

SuperMagnetMan Erector Kit: http://www.supermagnetman.net/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=430
Grade: N35
Diameter: 5mm
Weight x 8: 15 grams

Spindle shaft:
Material: Magnetic Stainless Steel
Diameter: 0.240" (6mm?)
Height: ~1.5"

Stator magnet/bearing holder
Material: Unknown (Delrin?)
Height: 0.692"
OD: 0.711"
ID 0.499"
Depth magnet side: 0.248"
Depth bearing side: 0.196"
Inner lip ID: 0.434"

Stator bearings
Material: Magnetic Stainless Steel
OD: 0.500"
ID: 0.185"
Thick: 0.194"
Weight x 3: 6 grams (2g each)

Stator Magnets
K&J R834DIA: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=R834DIA
Diameter: 1/2"
Thickness: 1/4"
ID: 3/16"
Weight x 3: 16 grams (5+ grams each)

K&J B882: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=B882
Width: 1/2"
Thickness: 1/8"
Weight x 3: 12 grams (4 grams each)

Rotating stator assembly (bearing + magnet + holder)
Weight x 3: 30 grams (10g per stator)

Photographic evidence at:
http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll48/overconfident/PartsAndPieces/

I'll edit this as I gather more measurements.

Last edited by overconfident on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:46 am; edited 11 times in total

Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:35 am PostPost subject:
Yadaraf
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

RE: Density calcs for Al's rotor:

Note that Delrin is 1.4 - 1.5 g/cc, and that we just returned a bunch of it, because Al's density is closer to 0.91 g/cc.

PRELIMINARY:

(Note that "B" is an octagon whose area was obtained via CAD, as was the area of wing "A". Also, the volume of the Delrin insert has been accounted for, but its mass has not -- yet -- although it was included in the weight. Work in progress .... Laughing ... need to do an extrusion in CAD.)

Cheers Smile
Yada ..

Last edited by Yadaraf on Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:51 am PostPost subject:
alsetalokin
Site Admin

Delrin is so much nicer to work with. It is almost the ideal material for this kind of work. As I said, if I had had a large enough piece of Delrin scrap I would have used Delrin for the rotor, and I'm sure I would have been able to make it work. The rotors for the earlier smaller mockups are Delrin. It is much easier to maintain tolerances with Delrin. The adapter insert for the bigger rotor is Delrin for this reason.
If the density difference is worrisome, I suggest installing lightening holes...
I may name my next child Delrin, if he is white...

Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:49 am PostPost subject:
Yadaraf
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

alsetalokin wrote:
Delrin is so much nicer to work with. It is almost the ideal material for this kind of work. As I said, if I had had a large enough piece of Delrin scrap I would have used Delrin for the rotor, and I'm sure I would have been able to make it work. The rotors for the earlier smaller mockups are Delrin. It is much easier to maintain tolerances with Delrin. The adapter insert for the bigger rotor is Delrin for this reason.
If the density difference is worrisome, I suggest installing lightening holes...

Al,

If you had used Delrin, which is ~150% heavier than the material you used, the blisters you've complained about would have been 150% worse as well. Laughing Who knows .. you might have given up sooner or taken 150% longer to make your discovery. Another "lucky accident?"

Cheers Smile
Yada ...

Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:36 am PostPost subject:
Harvey
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

alsetalokin wrote:

My Delrin rod is black so I guess color may not be an issue Wink

Last edited by Harvey on Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:13 pm PostPost subject:
alsetalokin
Site Admin

Ohh, I'll let someone else pun on that one...

If he is black, I've already decided on "Albedo"...

Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:19 am PostPost subject:
Harvey
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Quote:

If he is black, I've already decided on "Albedo"...

That's just a preconceived notion. I think the child may be female. Razz

But then again, look where thinkin' has got me already Embarassed

Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:08 am PostPost subject:
Harvey
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

N42 Magnet Weight:

ETA: Removed Images and directed to gallery:
http://urad.net/forums/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=21

Last edited by Harvey on Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:36 am PostPost subject:
Yadaraf
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Harvey, OC,

Harvey's latest weighing exercise seems to indicate an accuracy of +/- 1 g (i.e. possibly 23 or 25 g for 8 magnets). This would imply that one magnet could weigh between 2.875 g and 3.125 g.

.. Q: Harvey, what say yee about the accuracy of your scale?

(Note: I assume the N42's are KJ D48 (3.02 g)

Here's a rather inexpensive scale with 0.1 g accuracy. I think I can use it as a food scale as well -- for portioning food.

$25 scale (+/- 0.1 g): http://www.physlink.com//estore/cart/USX500DigitalScale.cfm

Cheers Smile
Yada ...

Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:28 am PostPost subject:
Harvey
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Actually the rounding of the scale would be 23.5g = 24g while 24.4 = 24g so the maximum range for these magnets would be more like 2.9375g to 3.05g

So it is more accurately said to be 2.99375g +/- .05625g

3.02g falls within this range.

The scale you have selected looks like it may work well for you. You can always use it for calculating the shipping for WhiPMags Very Happy

Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:49 pm PostPost subject:
overconfident
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Yadaraf wrote:
$25 scale (+/- 0.1 g): http://www.physlink.com//estore/cart/USX500DigitalScale.cfm

I considered a scale similar to that one, but decided on something larger but lower resolution. I'm still planning on larger rigs that could easily exceed 500 grams. I weigh my small items in groups (as Harvey did) for better accuracy.

Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:35 pm PostPost subject:
Harvey
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

overconfident wrote:

... I weigh my small items in groups (as Harvey did) for better accuracy. ...

Yeah...I must admit the truth, I got that idea from you Wink Thanx Very Happy

Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:09 pm PostPost subject:
alsetalokin
Site Admin

I have found that it is difficult to weigh magnets accurately.

How can you be sure that your scale isn't interacting with the magnets in some way other than strictly gravitationally? How do you know something in the environment isn't pushing or pulling on your magnets?
I would suggest making some kind of lightweight tare platform to elevate the magnet(s) as far above the pan of your scale as practicable.

And there are some subtle assumptions involved in weighing a bunch of things, then dividing by their count to get an individual item's weight. For example, the items must not differ too much in weight a priori. Also, if your scale only reads to the half-gram, sorry, the result of your division (to get an individual weight) can also only be accurate to the half-gram. The accuracy of those extra digits is illusory.

And if the thing you are weighing only weighs 3 1/2 grams anyway, a 1/2 gram error is too much, in relative terms.

(We had an interesting weighing problem in the lab last week. We needed a precise weight for the sample cell in a kinetobaric experiment. The cell had been in the active chamber under vacuum receiving RF irradiation earlier, then we backfilled the chamber with nitrogen and extracted the cell to be weighed. The technician fired up the electronic precision pan scale, similar to the Pelouze shown above but with milligram resolution, over in the clean room several corridors away. As he went to place the cell on the balance, he noted that the readout would show as much as several grams deflection before the cell even contacted the pan. The people trying to get the weight played with this effect for a while then came for me. I was astonished, because even though I immediately understood what was happening and how to cure it, the magnitude of the effect was way greater than I had anticipated. Several grams, out of a sample weighing about 1250 grams, is a huge error, when the kinetobaric effect may account for only a few milligrams.)

Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:14 pm PostPost subject:
Harvey
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

I agree that trying to pin down a specific accurate weight with the tools in hand is futile. However I disagree that the decimal ranges I provided are inaccurate. These represent the minimum and maximum possible from observed data and demonstrate that the accuracy of possible weight is infinitesimal and thus not illusory.

I do agree wrt derivation of accuracy from averaged samples. It is impossible to state conclusivly that any one of the measured magnets has a given weight due to the various tolerances in manufacture. The best that can be stated is that the average weight falls within the min/max range.

I also agree that the error for a single sample is too great. This is the reason that we distribute the error across 8 averaged samples. I would do more if I had them.

WRT magnetic interaction. I agree that metals in the scale can (and will) be attracted to the magnets. So the next question is how much and how far. I suppose if we move them into the area of uncertainty then the interaction could be buried in the unknowns. ETA: A handmade balance scale could be fashioned using a stiff ruler and a bag of salt. When two balance, weigh the salt on the scale. Wink
IMHO I think we may be going down a road of accuracy that even the manufacturers don't travel. Wink

Last edited by Harvey on Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:24 pm PostPost subject:
Harvey
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

alsetalokin wrote:

... when the kinetobaric effect may account for only a few milligrams ...

Interesting. This has been bouncing around in publications for over 30 years.

Final Report - Investigation of the Kinetobaric Effect

Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:36 pm PostPost subject:
alsetalokin
Site Admin

Yes, we have been very interested in the work they do at Göde.
I can't really discuss what we are doing, except that it will be the most comprehensive attempt at reproducing Zinsser's (and Peschke's and Duiff's) work yet performed.
The original patent of Zinsser is quite interesting because it describes a rapid-rise-time pulse generator circuit that exceeded existing performance levels (at the time). I constructed the device described in the patent and it does indeed generate the waveforms claimed.
However, as Göde and other groups have already found, the K-B effect is most probably artifactual.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:04 pm PostPost subject:
Harvey
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

I find the water bucket test interesting.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:08 pm PostPost subject:
alsetalokin
Site Admin

Yes.
As I recall, we found the Göde work to be excellent as far as it went, but there were some deficiencies. While they showed that thermal (water bucket) effects in their apparatus were of sufficient magnitude to mimic alleged K-B effects, they were not able to rule out possible K-B effects coming from their activated sample. Also, I believe all their trials were conducted using an arbitrary waveform generator (digital) and commercial linear power amps. Nor were they able to perform their tests in a large vacuum chamber. Neither did they use Zinsser's method of coupling the RF to the load.
Our setup is a bit different. We are using 3 systems to generate the RF: The original Zinsser patent device (2x EL152 beam pentodes); a verson of the Duiff-Peschke device (2x 6BQ5 oscillator + 2x EL152 amplifier); and an AWG/Linear Amplifier like Göde used (solid state, digital). We have constructed sophisticated passive impedance matching devices to assure that we have maximum power transfer from the generators thru the transmission lines to the load. We are using Zinsser's "differentiating plate capacitor" method of coupling to the load. We are performing the entire series of experimental trials in a large vacuum chamber at or below 1x10e-5 Torr, mounted on a vibration-isolated optical table (that weighs about 2 tons). Our balance is capable of detecting less than 1 milligram change in a sample weight of about 1250 grams. We are using two independent detector systems to monitor the balance beam deflection, which allows us to separate a beam flexing mode from an actual beam deflection due to weight change.
We can detect all kinds of stuff with this system; the chart recorder traces look like "real science". When we first set it up and were taking baseline data, we were even picking up diurnal variations correlated to the position of the sun (at least according to JK.)

Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:36 pm PostPost subject:
Harvey
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

The diurnal readings may be reverberative photonic exchange rather than gravitometric effects. Moray also recorded such variations. I appreciated the lunar data collection done in the forgoing paper and find it helpful that the reflected solar photons were not an issue in the observed data. Since the lunar gravitational influence is discounted we would need to supply a reason why the solar gravitational influence is not. I would look to specific energy frequencies that cannot be reflected by the lunar composite and are only present from direct solar transmission. The solar wind itself would also need to be addressed.

I am always leary when using active components for measurement techniques of unknown variables. We never know conclusively to what extent the energy we are adding is affecting the sample directly. It is difficult enough when using passive measurements that destroy a portion of the sample in the reading.

Gotta give you guys props for the vacuum chamber and vibration isolation Very Happy

Cool

Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:15 pm PostPost subject:
Harvey
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

I might add also an observation noted by an engineer I briefly worked with at Schwein Engineering in the early '80's.

Using two Mercury filled chambers connected by a tube as a new sensor for the manometers they manufacture, the engineer placed each chamber at opposite ends of a brake shear (8 feet wide IIRC) in the sheet metal department. The chambers were used as variable capacitors. A Wien bridge circuit was used to join the two and calibrate a galvonometer. The problem was, that when ever the engineer would step up to the shear to adjust the bridge and center the needle, it would deflect full scale when he stepped away. After a great deal of speculation and tests to resolve the problem it was discovered that the weight of the engineer was enough to flex the 8" thick concrete enough to tilt the brake shear enough to vary the capacitance enough to give a full scale deflection. It became obvious that the 'new' sensor was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too sensitive. Smile

Both Zinsser and yourself have indicated similar problems where human interaction seem to influence the readings. The paper mentioned above relates the interaction to torso heat and as of yet I have seen no mention to body mass and the resulting gravity associated with it. Whether we like it or not, the spatial distortion exists and it alters the vectors even in the presence of such a great mass as the terra firma on which we stand. So not only do we alter the foundation on which our measurement equipment rests but we also influence the results by our very presence in the occupied space.

Cool

Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:15 pm PostPost subject:
Mr.Entropy
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

alsetalokin wrote:
I can't really discuss what we are doing, except that it will be the most comprehensive attempt at reproducing Zinsser's (and Peschke's and Duiff's) work yet performed.

That's interesting and all, but what I want to know is why are you doing that? Does the person/organization who owns your lab expect any return on the investment?

Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:31 pm PostPost subject:
overconfident
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Mr.Entropy wrote:

Does the person/organization who owns your lab expect any return on the investment?

You bet they do. Why do you think Al spends so little time doing anything with his WhipMag? The primary reason is the cash cow demands of the business. I'm sure all the esoteric technology tends to be distracting as well.

If Al works where I think he works, they have had research and proof-of-concept contracts from such places as NASA and USAF and have collaborated with a number of high profile universities.

If you want confirmation on that, you'll need to get it from Al. He knows what I have surmised, but has neither confirmed nor denied it.

OC

Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:45 pm PostPost subject:
Mr.Entropy
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Oh, I wouldn't do that. Al obviously wants to preserve whatever level of anonymity he has here.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:35 pm PostPost subject:
Harvey
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

I have learned that there are two main factors governing secrecy. 1. Gain 2. Abuse.

In the case of #1 it is often monetary, but in some cases it is a means of advantage or purpose. Success is often ensured by secrecy.

In the case of #2 the abuse can be against ones person and thus secrecy is obviously justified. Another, is the technology may be abused in such a way that the inventors wishes are ignored and thus secrecy protects the wishes of the inventor.

At any rate, I have learned that ones request for secrecy is to be respected.

What happened to Cloud Camper?

Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:00 pm PostPost subject:
overconfident
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Harvey wrote:

In the case of #1 it is often monetary, but in some cases it is a means of advantage or purpose. Success is often ensured by secrecy.

And then there's that simple gain of self satisfaction, the pride of knowing you were able to do something many others would sacrifice body parts to achieve ... and never will.

Harvey wrote:

What happened to Cloud Camper?

Prolly pinchin' pennies for some new servos. It would be nice to hear how he's doing, though.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:58 pm PostPost subject:
alsetalokin
Site Admin

Yep, thanks, whatever level of anonymity.

I can't really speak to the motivations or ultimate goals, that isn't my department. Like Dylan says, "everybody's got to serve somebody" (ever hear Bonnie Raitt's cover of that tune?). I'm just glad to be working, and it is true that we are quite busy right now, and at the end of the day I am disinclined to do much of anything except make sarcastic comments on the steorn forum.

As far as abuse of technology goes, I worry about that, too. I have certain qualms about working on stuff that could be used in any way to restrict individual liberties and personal privacy. It is for this reason that I am rather chagrined that my early work in mathematical modelling of the perception of emotional expressions has fostered quite a little literature over the years, and is ultimately the source of some of the surveillance systems that attempt to detect stress and subversion and thoughtcrime through monitoring and interpreting microexpressions.

It is small consolation to remember that any technology, any artifact, may be abused and made into a weapon or an instrument of coercion.

Fortunately, we won't be seeing any Zinsser KinetoBaric Cannon any time soon.

(The Bandersnatch, however, is nearing completion and will enter live trial phase shortly...)

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | WhipMag Discussion/Development
View previous topic
View next topic