Hope springs eternal...

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | Skeptics, sceptics, and Cynics    Page 1 of 1

Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:48 pm PostPost subject: Hope springs eternal...
exco
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I see messrs. Facorexpress and Bobcat are as convinced as ever that steorn have a perpetual motion machine.

Will nothing convince these people that they have been conned? I think even if the leprachaun went round shrieking with laughter at their stupidity whilst kicking them repeatedly in the head they would find some way of rationalising it in order to maintain their faith.

They must be desperate indeed to avoid the obvious truth so determinedly.

Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:52 pm PostPost subject:
Thicket
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Babcat is a compulsive believer. I don't think anything will ever convince him that Steorn has nothing.

Gaby is simply a total whack job. You can't analyze his behaviour with reason and logic. He is completely inconsistent. When it comes to believers and skeptics, Gaby is in an nebulous, incoherent class of his own.

Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:56 pm PostPost subject:
exco
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I wonder what it is about perpetual motion that attracts such a collection of flakes? Is it the thought of getting something for nothing? Or the belief that all our problems would be solved by suddenly gaining access to unlimited energy?

Have they no imagination at all? Even if it were to work, have they considered the possibility of terrorists with the ability to release energy in infinite quantities in our cities?

Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:05 pm PostPost subject:
maryyugo
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Good questions. I wish I knew. It's complicated but unfounded belief by humans probably originated with natural selection. If you're in a primitive and hazardous environments filled with predators, you can't delay to check when someone yells "Run, there's a tiger in those woods." If you "believe" and run, at worst you've wasted a bit of energy. If you ask too many questions and delay and there is a tiger in the woods, you get eaten and don't pass on your genes. Obviously a gross oversimplification but there have to be good reasons why humans believe unlikely things another person tells them without evidence of any sort.

The original natural selection has been modified over the centuries and now a spectrum ranging from babcat to pennies exists in human belief systems. As for Gaby, he's clearly nuts. A lot of normal people have little exposure to mental illness and tend not to recognize it. Many extremely annoying and irrational people have brains that don't process input well and their actions are not based on any reasonable "reality". I don't have a clue what the evolutionary basis for insanity might be. I suppose it may have been dragged along by accident.

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | Skeptics, sceptics, and Cynics
View previous topic
View next topic