I was thinking...

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | Skeptics, sceptics, and Cynics    Page 1 of 1

Fri May 11, 2007 1:46 am PostPost subject: I was thinking...
PennyWise
Contributor
Contributor

To quote Einstein, "It followed from the special theory of relativity that mass and energy are both but different manifestations of the same thing -- a somewhat unfamiliar conception for the average mind. Furthermore, the equation E is equal to m c-squared, ... showed that very small amounts of mass may be converted into a very large amount of energy and vice versa. The mass and energy were in fact equivalent, ... "

So if energy can be created (as some silly Irish man as claimed) then, based upon my simple understanding of Einstein's theory, mass (hence matter) can also be created from nothing? Rolling Eyes Exclamation Question

Fri May 11, 2007 4:32 am PostPost subject:
alsetalokin
Site Admin

Good point-I hadn't thought of that. Let's see--by Einstein, you would need to create a bunch of energy to get even a little bit of mass, plus figure out some way to convert the energy to matter, I suppose...but as far as I can recall, the derivation of Einstein's equation depends on CofE as a core axiom, so if those Irish gentlemen are right, maybe Einstein's equation doesn't tell the whole story either...hmmmm....
Remember Robbie the Robot in the classic movie "Forbidden Planet"? The mysterious and ancient Krell had a huge energy resource machine installed inside their planet (a Magnum Orbo?), and Dr. Morbius could use Robbie to convert its energy into all kinds of specific substances--like gallons of 90-proof Kentucky whiskey, or diamonds for Anne Francis's skimpy gowns, or tons of lead shielding, or anything else you liked. Too bad it also manifested the dark forces from Morbius's unconscious mind...
Somehow I don't think we need to worry, at least for a while.

Twisted Evil

Fri May 11, 2007 5:14 am PostPost subject: I was thinking...
WaBoy
Contributor
Contributor

I'll probably step on my tongue (or keyboard) staying simple, but I'll give it a try.

You're right, E=mc^2 equates mass and energy as the good doctor said.

Your assumption that if Steorn's Orbo "creates energy" it would mean, by the rules of equality, it could also create mass. The problem is that it takes scads of energy to make a tiny bit of matter. The other problem is that the jury, quite literally, is still out on what's occurring with the Orbo. Breaking the Law of Conservation of Energy has yet to be proved - or disproved.

Quantum physicists point to Zero Point Energy (ZPE) as proof that matter, in the form of hydrogen atoms, is created and uncreated in the barest instant, causing a tiny flash of energy. This apparently occurs everywhere in the universe and a few physicists think this might account for the missing dark matter and energy that make stars in a galaxy appear to break the laws of gravitation in general physics.

ZPE was predicted as early as the 1890s, proved to exit in the 1940s and accurately measured a few years later. The proof and measurement has been replicated a number of times at various universities. So far, however, no one has been able to extract and use this seemingly universal energy.

If the creation/uncreation of matter is indeed true, at least in a naturally occurring sense, it could mean that matter can be created and destroyed and show that the Law of Conservation of Energy might not apply under certain circumstances. It seems that there is no absolute proof of the creation/uncreation of hydrogen or any other atoms... yet.

I hope this didn't add to your confusion. Very Happy

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | Skeptics, sceptics, and Cynics
View previous topic
View next topic