Need Magnets?

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | Inventor's Corner    Page 1 of 1

Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:49 pm PostPost subject: Need Magnets?
WhiteLite
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Then take a look here. Even if you don't buy from them there are some good pictures that aid the imagination. For real amusment scrol down to the Super Magnets section. Laughing

http://www.unitednuclear.com/magnets.htm

Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:56 pm PostPost subject:
avid_engineer
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

They are indeed powerfull. Very Happy

When i first found united nuclear i envisaged myself sitting with one of these in a large room throwing coins and watching them fly around. To be fair though i would probably end up seriously injured with one of these in my posession. Simply amazing.

Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:03 pm PostPost subject:
WhiteLite
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Yeah they look prety insane. Did you read the warnings they give with these things?

Quote:
THESE ARE ABSOLUTELY NOT TOYS AND CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS! KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN! - THESE CAN EASILY CRUSH FINGERS! WE CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR INJURY OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY THESE POWERFUL MAGNETS.

If you really need unbelievably powerful magnets, here they are.
Uses include magnetic steering of nuclear particles in accelerators, levitation devices, magnetic beam amplifiers, scrap iron separators, etc.
Beware - you must think ahead when moving these magnets.
If carrying one into another room, carefully plan the route you will be taking. Computers & monitors will be affected in an entire room. Loose metallic objects and other magnets may become airborne and fly considerable distances - and at great speed - to attach themselves to this magnet. If you get caught in between the two, you can get injured.
Two of these magnets close together can create an almost unbelievable magnetic field that can be very dangerous. Of all the unique items we offer for sale, we consider these items the most dangerous of all. Our normal packing & shipping personnel refuse to package these magnets - our engineers have to do it. This is no joke and we cannot stress it strongly enough - that you must be extremely careful - and know what you're doing with these magnets.

Take Note: Two Super magnets can very easily get out of control and break fingers and even your arm if opposing poles fly at each other. If working with multiple Supermagnets, always handle one magnet at a time, secure it, then proceed to the next magnet.

Wow, you'd need to chain them down to work with them. Shocked

Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:24 pm PostPost subject:
avid_engineer
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Yeah i like the bit about packaging and shipping. lmao!

Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:40 pm PostPost subject: need Magnets ?
breeze
Contributor
Contributor

I have purchased many mag's from this company, excellent quality, great pricing and fast deliveryto my door.

http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/index.htm

Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:40 pm PostPost subject:
babcat
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

My problem is I only have a very limited ammount of money to spend and it gets expensive when you want to purchase various shapes or sizes of magnets.

Does anyone know if Hope Depot carry magnets such as those?

Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:00 am PostPost subject:
drichardson
Site Admin

If money is a problem, you can buy an assortment from thinkgeek on the cheep:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/770f/

No spheres, unfortunately, but a good set none the less.

Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:36 am PostPost subject:
babcat
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

drichardson,

My problem is I'm not familiar with the relative power and strength of these magnets. That kit of magnets is composed of relatively small magnets of usually less than one half inch diameter. Would such small magnets (even though Neomydiums are very powerful compared to other types of magnets) strong enough to create a rotor lets say six to ten inches in diameter? How far would the push force of such magnets extend in inches?

I'm trying to get a mental handle on the strength of these magnets and the strength of their interaction which each other.

Honestly, I want to get all my magnets from one source to avoid multiple shipping fees. But it's a little difficult to figure out which ones I should get because I don't have a feel for their strength.

Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:03 am PostPost subject:
drichardson
Site Admin

Quote:
I'm trying to get a mental handle on the strength of these magnets and the strength of their interaction which each other.

The only way you're going to get an intuitive 'feel' for the things is to go ahead and get some magnets to play with. A few dollars worth from the local radio shack should get you started. They sell some cheep ceramic coin and ring magnets along with some small coin rare-earth magnets.

If you have an old computer hard disk lying around you can swipe a fairly descent sized (and quite powerful) magnet from it's insides.

I don't see how you could possibly buy the exact magnets you'd want to replicate the Steorn device or test rig without a detailed knowledge of either one.

Go ahead and get some magnets, play, experiment, and learn. When you hit on an idea, go ahead and buy the magnets you need to test it out -- if it doesn't work, no worries, you'll have added to your ever-growing magnet knowledge, experience, and (of course) your magnet collection.

Oh, while your at radio shack you might want to consider buying (or picking up parts to build) a gauss meter:

http://www.web-ee.com/Schematics/GaussMeter/GaussMeter.htm

Because I like links:
UC Berkeley Magnetism I
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5645396659673218353
UC Berkeley Magnetism II
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5275112434762210941

Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm PostPost subject:
babcat
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Hello Everyone,

I found the cheapest source of good quality N40 Neodymium magnets on the internet (at least that I can find). The website is http://www.magnet4less.com

For example, a one inch diameter by 1/4th inch thick magnet at their website can be purchased for one dollar verses three or four dollars on other websites.

There is only one problem. To get those good prices you have to make bulk purchases. For example, they wanted me to purchase 20 or 40 of those as a minimum allowed quantity. You can't just purchase smaller numbers.

If there was anyway a person on here who was financially able to do so could make a large order from that website and sell portions of it at their cost to others in the group we would all save some money.

It's just a thought I came up with and thought I would pass along the website.

View previous topic
View next topic