Replicating the Steorn "Toy" from the Kinetica Pre

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | Steorn Technology Two: Permanent Magnet Motor (Only Permanent Magnets)    Page 1 of 1

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:57 am PostPost subject: Replicating the Steorn "Toy" from the Kinetica Pre
babcat
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

The purpose of this thread will be to replicate the Steorn "toy" from the Kinetica presentation Steorn held.

Hopefully, in the near future we will have more information about what it looks like, it's various parts, which way it moves, and hopefully how it works!

I think we should try to replicate it.

I will have some magnets arriving later this week and plan to try to replicate the device.

Who wants to try too?

Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:06 am PostPost subject:
resonatrix

Why not Smile

All we wait for is to see something working, preferably with some simple diagrams ...

Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:18 pm PostPost subject:
WhiteLite
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

It would help if I could see the video. The important bit is the array of magnets at the bottom of the "Toy" but other statements are conflicting. Either the array was pushed horizontally or a woble in the central axis, (caused by the half circle weights), caused the rotor magnet to move slightly horizontally.

The array and the path the magnet took through it are critical.

Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:25 am PostPost subject:
babcat
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Hello Everyone,

Yes, I am waiting for a video too. Sean has said this Friday he will see where things are at so I'm hoping it's possible he will post the video then. Seeing the video would help tremendously.

When I get my magnets in the mail I'm going to go ahead to Walmart and purchase some cheap styrofoam discs to mount magnets on. I'm almost certain they have various shapes of Styrofoam at Walmart. Then I'm going to begin experimenting. Since we don't have any videos or photos yet it's going to be a lot of guesswork and trial and error.

Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:55 pm PostPost subject:
avid_engineer
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Using the picture's kindly posted on the following thread on Steorn.net i have tried my best to understand the mechanisms at work on the toy.

http://www.steorn.net/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=34901&page=1

From the pics available i have drawn a crude diagram of my understanding so far. I would love some help narrowing down the exact operation so i might attempt to recreate the toy and experiment Smile

I use the term operation lightly. At this stage i think it would be best just to make clear the exact sequence of operation, direction of rotation, a brief rundown of forces involved etc. For the record, i currently feel i have a very limited understanding of the operation so all the notes and angles are wild guesses, nothing more.

Does anyone have links to better pics? or better still... a video... which would instantly clear up 99% of my misinterpretations. lol.

Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:01 pm PostPost subject:
avid_engineer
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

After a little more guess work im pretty certain those angles (guesses) of mine are horribly wrong. The initial potential of the 1st weight dropping would result in a very small movement of the resin block.

Remebering Sean said the resin block and disc move no more than 30 degrees total. So i guess a 45 degree turn of the rotor shaft must equate to approximately a 4 degree shift of the resin block?

That is assuming the rotor shaft turns a full 360.

Anyone clear on how this things moves yet? Anyone here actually go to the presentation?

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | Steorn Technology Two: Permanent Magnet Motor (Only Permanent Magnets)
View previous topic
View next topic