A carefull look at available images

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | Inventor's Corner Goto page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2

Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:42 am PostPost subject:
TylerD1
Contributor
Contributor

Looking over the video of the test rig from the Sky News interview (the AP Video uses the same footage), several new parts seem to be present (as opposed to the photos of the test rig on the wooden floor). The majority of the camera views and closeups seem to be of "Arm B", the arm with its length parallel to the table surface. (some of the images can be clicked on for a larger version).

This arm appears to have the same angle encoder, and has pin couplings around the torque sensor. The motor on this arm is also shown to move and stop, indicating that this is most likely a static test rig.

On the other arm, "Arm A" most likely, the lifting wheel looks different. It's possible that this lifting wheel is made of a polycarbonate material, while the other wheels are made of aluminum (forum reference for wheel materials). On "Arm A" there are also several objects connected to the same wheel that is used for holding the brass weight (the brass weight is used to exaggerate the effects of a non-flat baseline). These objects did not seem to be on the test rig shown on the floor. It's possible these objects could be block magnets attached with some form of clamp.

On "Arm B" there seems to be one similar clamp attached to the brass weight wheel, although this clamp seems to be empty.

On "Arm A" a variety of screws seem to hold the clamps to the wheel.

The clamps on "Arm A" seem to be slightly different (the clamp appears narrower closer to the center of the wheel) compared to the clamp on "Arm B". The purple and green outlined parts appear to be the same material (the picture above with the brass weight shown clearly shows this somewhat better). The orange part looks like it could be a part of the clamp system, and it looks like it may be on all of the clamps shown.

Statements from the Forums
This rig was testing magnets (and, therefore, there is no hanging weight). [Forum Reference 1] [Forum Reference 2]
The two arms work together in this rig. [Forum Reference 1] [Forum Reference 2]
"Look at the AP video and you will see that in that system both wheels are of the same size." [Forum Reference]
"The system on the Sky news slot was a static test system (note that the system moves, has a settling time and then takes torque and angle measurements). The system is positioned using stepper motors." [Forum Reference]
"Some tests system use polycarb wheels some use aluminium. The use of either makes no difference when doing static tests." [Forum Reference]

Conflicting Statements from the Forums
(The italicized parts of the quote contain the information that is conflicting with the majority of the available data.)
"Forgot to add that anyone who has seen the Sky News video can see that in that dynamic system we are not using pin couplings. Anyway more info on those types of test in section 2." [Forum Reference]

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:42 pm PostPost subject:
DaveHoward_
Contributor
Contributor

Nice work! Good details.
I can't tell easily if that horizontal wheel is polycarb or not. I'd assume is most likely Al, to stay consistent with the rest of the rig. The alen machine screws, the set screws and some of the other part components seem to be SS non magnetic most likely austenitic 300 series, at least those are readily available in the states. The rest of the mounting brackets/supports seem to be alluminum (nonmagnetic material ofc).

Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:39 pm PostPost subject:
avid_engineer
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Anyone know what data aquisition software Steorn are using with their NI-628x DAQ card?

I'm thinking about using this as a data aquisition platform, looks like a lovely little peice of kit at less than a quater the price of the NI card Steorn use. I already have the PC/104 CPU and PSU from a robotics project i am working on and could re-use the DAQ for that too. It seems to require RS422 inputs from the quadrature encoders, so i couldnt use the same encoders as Steorn. Never the less, RS422 compatible encoders (at 5000PPR) are available on eBay pretty cheaply.

http://www.sensoray.com/html/526data.htm

Sensoray provide a free SDK for this hardware platform, and compatible prototyping software is available from a 3rd party company.

Any thoughts?

Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:18 am PostPost subject:
babcat
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

I wish I knew but I do not.

To be honest, this kind of technical stuff is way over my head.

Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:20 am PostPost subject:
TylerD1
Contributor
Contributor

avid_engineer wrote:
Anyone know what data aquisition software Steorn are using with their NI-628x DAQ card?

Back in February and March it looks like Steorn was posting to the National Instruments forum with various questions. One of the posts state that they were not going to invest in LabVIEW. Several of the questions seem to relate to using the code libraries from NI, but it's not clear if they are still using the same model(s) of DAQ that they reference in the posts.

Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:56 am PostPost subject:
babcat
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Great find!

If nothing else this proves once again that Steorn is legitimately doing research and not some sort of crazy conspiracy theory.

Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:09 pm PostPost subject:
WhiteLite
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

TylerD1 wrote:
avid_engineer wrote:

Back in February and March it looks like Steorn was posting to the National Instruments forum with various questions. One of the posts state that they were not going to invest in LabVIEW. Several of the questions seem to relate to using the code libraries from NI, but it's not clear if they are still using the same model(s) of DAQ that they reference in the posts.

That's very interesting information. Do you have any of their sample posts I can look at?

Edit: Nevermind, I see the link. You read my mind! Smile

Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:19 pm PostPost subject:
WhiteLite
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Conspiracy alert! Sean calls himself Shaun in those posts, lol. Or maybe they have a Sean and a Shaun working at Steorn. Laughing

Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:18 am PostPost subject:
babcat
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Shaun is his birth name. But he has stated that for a certain period of time he has been using "Sean" instead. Apparently, he likes Sean better than Shaun. It's the same person just a slight variation of the name.

Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:37 am PostPost subject:
WhiteLite
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

babcat wrote:
Shaun is his birth name. But he has stated that for a certain period of time he has been using "Sean" instead. Apparently, he likes Sean better than Shaun. It's the same person just a slight variation of the name.

Yeah I was just having a laugh. To be fair I prefer Sean to Shaun anyway.

View previous topic
View next topic