JoinTheFun
Contributor
Contributor

What the....?
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt6v8qDcTyg

Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:16 am PostPost subject:
alsetalokin
Site Admin

A small Tesla radiant power plant, operating at an input power of less than 15 watts. It will light up as many of those bulbs as you can crowd together, and its range increases greatly as I turn up the Variac regulating voltage to the first-stage transformer.

Stiffler is a great educator and entertainer, isn't he? He has guided his little band of followers all the way down the garden path to--
--
--RADIO !!

I got a real laugh when he was so puzzled that an inductor got hot when driven by one of his oscillators, even though one end of it wasn't connected to anything. It's almost like he is pretending not to understand routine RF phenomena. Any radio "ham" could have explained it to him, without making up absurd entities like "spatial energy coherence" which is of course a fancy name for --
--
--RADIO !!

His demos are interesting, and I think I'll have to build a few of his circuits to amuse the children around here.

Last edited by alsetalokin on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:36 am PostPost subject:
JoinTheFun
Contributor
Contributor

Please do, especially the latest ones involving hydrogen.

As you state it, I would almost think that radiant energy in itself has an OU aspect.
Just 15W in and as many lighting up as you can hold, stuff, stick in the plant's neighbourhood ? At what distance do they still light at 15Ws ?

Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:38 pm PostPost subject:
overconfident
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

JoinTheFun wrote:

As you state it, I would almost think that radiant energy in itself has an OU aspect.
Just 15W in and as many lighting up as you can hold, stuff, stick in the plant's neighbourhood ? At what distance do they still light at 15Ws ?

I suspect the energy collected by the lamp would fall off as the inverse square of the distance, just like most other radiated energy.

Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:51 pm PostPost subject:
alsetalokin
Site Admin

overconfident wrote:
JoinTheFun wrote:

I suspect the energy collected by the lamp would fall off as the inverse square of the distance, just like most other radiated energy.

Yes, for this direct reception that is true. However (dare I say this) using a corresponding resonant receiver and a system resonating at the correct frequency, I believe (with Tesla) that it is possible to overcome this deficiency.

Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:00 am PostPost subject:
alsetalokin
Site Admin

I mostly use this coil for demonstrations (it is nicely portable; I made a fitted case for it and it assembles/disassembles easily). But it has other interesting uses too--like experimental potentiation of certain properties of biological materials.
Mr. Green

Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:07 am PostPost subject:
alsetalokin
Site Admin

Here's a detail of the base (power supply and primary and cap stack and spark gap) of the small Tesla powerplant. The first-stage power supply is a 75 Watt 6000 kV neon sign transformer (the black box at upper right.) The tiny neon light bulb on top of the cork mat is the HV ON indicator (with a couple 100 Megohm HV resistors in series). The adjustable three-element stationary gap is at lower right. Capacitors are 30 kV doorknobs in a series-parallel stack. (I have a bunch of these if anybody wants to buy a few.) Out of view where the grey line cord plugs in is a line filter / fuse module to keep spikes out of the house wiring. The primary is copper tubing. the wiring is silicone-insulated spark plug wire from the motorcycle shop. The secondary is around 330 turns, IIRC. The secondary resonant frequency is right about 1.25 MHz. Terminal capacitance varies according to usage. In the "light" picture above the terminal capacity is a brass doorknob sitting on a stainless-steel condiment cup sitting on an aluminum parabolic reflector from a Siemens pulse-power biowaste treatment unit. About 5-7 pF or so. Another terminal capacity may be seen next to the base; it's a small toroid made from some dryer ducting and aluminum tape--maybe 20 or 25 pF.

Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:37 pm PostPost subject:
jwk
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

alsetalokin wrote:
I mostly use this coil for demonstrations (it is nicely portable; I made a fitted case for it and it assembles/disassembles easily). But it has other interesting uses too--like experimental potentiation of certain properties of biological materials.
Mr. Green

Where do you buy your stuff from ?

Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:18 pm PostPost subject:
alsetalokin
Site Admin

I get the wire from Radio Shack and the local motorcycle trick shop, the capacitors and transformer from Mike Quinn Electronic Surplus, the copper tubing from Ace Hardware, the brass balls and doorknob also from ACE IIRC, the coil form is a mailing tube with many coats of Krylon clear lacquer (an excellent HV dielectric) and polyurethane varnish, other odds and ends from Quinn and ACE and Halted Specialties.

Never buy or sell what you can grow in your back yard, unless it's apples or apricots.

Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:59 am PostPost subject:
JoinTheFun
Contributor
Contributor

Stiffler's circuit is tiny compared to yours.

Other radiant fun is going on around Imhotep :

http://www.panaceauniversity.org/Tesla's%20HV%20impulse%20lighting%20methods-Imhotep's%20Radiant%20Oscillator.pdf

SirHOAX measuring zero amps !?

Zero amps ?

(Sorry can't get the first link right)

View previous topic
View next topic