My idea for Steorn's device.

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | Steorn Technology Two: Permanent Magnet Motor (Only Permanent Magnets) Goto page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2

Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:17 pm PostPost subject:
WhiteLite
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

In case you're wondering babcat I did get the magnets at the weekend and had a play around. They're extremely powerful and I broke one of them already, (looks like sintered metal particles inside but with a shiney metal coating).

I didn't get very far with the models, mainly because I don't have the materials to mount the magnets, only a bit of technic lego and some blutack, lol. Anyway, I did make a tetrahedron shape and used two mangets on the rotor instead of one. It certainly didn't spin on its own but, well, I'm not sure but there might have been some kind of effect but I don't have the equipment to measure it to be sure.

Basically in the models I described above the tetrahedron shape may be based on Steorns device that is 130% efficient. Anyway, with this configuration of magnets, (and probably the others), if you move the disk down, (losing energy), then you get a kick as the magnets move round by 90 degrees, (gaining energy). Move the disk up and you get another 90 degree kick, (in the same direction). It is difficult to tell if the kick is greater than the energy required to slide the disk up and down but if it is then you have an OU device.

If this is an accurate portrayal of the device then you would need some way for the kick energy to be re-applied into the up and down movement for the device to continually move. This may involve two of the devices connected together via some kind of gearing but I don't think it is impossible. If I manage to find a way of mounting these magnets and getting the right materials it might be worthwhile basing the design on the octahedral shape and making two of them connected together to get continual unaided movement.

If this is correct then Sean's apparent statement that "the movement of this device isn't how most OU devices are imagined to work", (or words to that effect; not a direct quote), is correct and instead of having a steady rotation this device has very clear and definite steps to its mechanism.

I think I may ask this on the forum. Smile

Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:38 pm PostPost subject:
WhiteLite
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Also of note, (and I might be imagining this), is that if this where the configuration of the device and you connected it to a test arm that was lifting a weight then it would look like a grandfather clock but without the pendulum. Smile

Sean himself said in his interview to New Energy Times that the device clicks and what I described does seem to almost tick along when it's running.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:31 am PostPost subject:
babcat
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

What size and diameter and strength of magnets did you purchase? Also, what is the distance from each of them when they will start to push each other away?

I have an idea of how you can mount the magnets cheaply. Maybe not according to you design, but for a simple rotor.

Get some styrofoam discs or the green discs that florists use to stick artificial flowers in. You could tape the magnets to the outside of the styrofoam OR you could get a sharp knife of some sort and cut out a whole to slide the magnets in from the top. Then with another piece of styrofoam you could mount your stator magnets. It's just an idea for some cheap experimenting.

Also, how did you break one of the magnets? I have heard they can shatter easily, but just how easily? Is it true that two penny sized neodymium magnets can shatter in an explosive way if you let them come together quickly?

Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:07 am PostPost subject:
WhiteLite
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

The magnets are 15mm x 4mm and I think their rated strength is N42? 2 magnets start pushing each other away at a distance of 10cm. You literally cannot push 2 like poles together and when you join them up you need plastic spacers to ensure you can pull them apart again. I think they one that broke was just weak or not made properly.

Mounting the magnets on a frame is easy enough, you can use blutack for that, I just haven't got the materials to build a frame that's all.

Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:03 pm PostPost subject:
Just Maybe

Hi guys, first post here, just a word about magnet safety.
It's a good idea when working with magnets to wear safety glasses. When they come together, they can fly apart! That can hurt.
Also don't leave those rare earth ones lying around for kiddies to play with, they can crush fingers.

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | Steorn Technology Two: Permanent Magnet Motor (Only Permanent Magnets)
View previous topic
View next topic