Measurements & calculations

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | WhipMag Discussion/Development Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4   Page 4 of 4

Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:14 pm PostPost subject:
alsetalokin
Site Admin

First there seems to be something wrong at ospmm.com--the image isn't loading, the page isn't timing out, whassupwiddat?

Second, INVENTOR, what OS and browser are you using?
You should be using Firefox, for sure.
Find the exact image you want to display, like at your urad site. Hover the mouse over the image and right-click. Select "copy image location". Now go to your post editor and paste that string between the [img] tags. It must be an image! Like a .jpg or .gif file. Not a .pdf!

You might also want to check out this: http://fizzx.com/faq.php?mode=bbcode

Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:26 pm PostPost subject:
overconfident
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

alsetalokin wrote:
First there seems to be something wrong at ospmm.com--the image isn't loading, the page isn't timing out, whassupwiddat?

http://www.ospmm.com/whipmag/ works just fine for me, but I'm using IE.

Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:08 pm PostPost subject:
alsetalokin
Site Admin

No, that's not what I mean. That link works fine, animates and everything.
The direct images you posted didn't load and kept the page from refreshing somehow. It's probably just because that server was temporarily overloaded or something because it seems to be working properly now.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:16 pm PostPost subject:
lostcauses
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

"The direct images you posted didn't load and kept the page from refreshing somehow."

It can take some time to load. It seems to be due to the animation. I normally just let it load while I do other things.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:52 pm PostPost subject:
Harvey
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

I like the way the rotor magnets maginetically flip polarity Mr. Green

Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:58 pm PostPost subject:
Harvey
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Inventor wrote:

[img]
[/img]

Hmmm still nothing, i believe i understand what you mean about the image.
I tried to high light the image and right click and copy and paste between img tags... instead of high lighting the link to the image, but still nothing or it wont give an option to paste after I select copy from highting image. Hmmm, BBcode is ON. HTML is off, does that matter?
Tooo many puzzles..AAAHHggrrrIIIILOOVVVEIT!!

I wonder if the trouble is in your IE settings...Confused

Tools =>Internet Options => Advanced => [Browsing]->Enable Third Party Browser Extensions

I have this on, perhaps you do not?

Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:11 am PostPost subject:
alsetalokin
Site Admin

I wish mine would do that!

OK, INVENTOR, try this. In IE, when you right click on an image, at the very bottom of the menu there is a "properties" item. Hover the mouse over an image, right-click, select "properties". In the tab that opens, there will be the address of the image--it should start with "http" and end with ".jpg" or ".gif" (without the quotes of course.)
You can select (highlight) and copy this address in the usual manner. Then paste that address between the img tags in your post.

For example, here are some images of the guts of one of the flat motors that power my Bonetti machine. They are AC/Delco automotive radiator fan motors, 12 VDC. I have no idea what car they go on.

Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:26 am PostPost subject:
Harvey
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Nice carpet, specially for burgundy drinkers Smile.

Down pillows or pet duck?

Don't you just love some of the exotic applications of simple electromagnetics Very Happy

For sure, thin is in. Whats the base layer on that copper composite? Has to be stiff enough to withstand the brush pressure and non-conductive, right?

Cool

Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:24 pm PostPost subject:
alsetalokin
Site Admin

It's the bathmat; down pillows, the one from WalMart leaks.

I think there's a disk of G-10 in there but it's hard to see, there's so much copper on it. The edge view shows how the two sides are interconnected with tiny little bead welds at each "turn".

Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:29 pm PostPost subject:
Harvey
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

alsetalokin wrote:

... I think there's a disk of G-10 ...

For those that are wondering : http://www.jjorly.com/g10_fr4_copper_clad.htm

We always call it FR-4 (flame retardent).

Makes sense that they just etch it that way and then crimp the edges to complete the circuit. Neat Very Happy

Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:45 pm PostPost subject:
alsetalokin
Site Admin

It looks to me like actual strands of copper are layered on the disc in some manner. I don't think it's etched cladding, but I may be wrong. In any case, it's a really neat and non-intuitive design.

Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:27 pm PostPost subject:
jwk
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Al, what is this green square ?

Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:42 pm PostPost subject:
Harvey
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

@jwk,

It's Viewing Film

Cool

ETA: If you want to really learn something about magnets, view the pole surface with the viewing film under a 10x or greater magnifying glass. I have a jewelers loupe that works great. Someday I would like to video that with a macro lens and post it up.

Cool

Last edited by Harvey on Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:02 pm PostPost subject:
jwk
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Harvey wrote:
@jwk,

It's Viewing Film

Cool

Ok, ta.

What is it viewing exactly ?

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:24 pm PostPost subject:
alsetalokin
Site Admin

The film is impregnated with something like little iron filings. Whatever it is, it lines up with "field lines" (which of course don't really exist.) SO when it is on a pole (lines thru the film) , it looks dark, and when it is showing lines that are parallel to the film, it looks light. I think.
Anyway, what you are seeing is the polarization pattern of the ferrite ring magnet of the motor. Adjacent sectors have opposite polarity.

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:35 pm PostPost subject:
Harvey
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

The particles in the film reflect light differently depending on their orientation. They are ferromagnetic so they react the same way for either north or south pole. In the areas where the magnetic flux flows from one side of the sheet to the other it will look dark. Where the flux flows from one edge to another it will look light. Specifically, where B is perpendicular to the surface it will look dark, and where B is parallel to the surface it will look light. Most fields are curved so you are really seeing a transistion from perpendicular to parallel or vice versa somewhere on the curvature. You can also approximate density by moving the film closer to or farther from the magnet and viewing the swath at various distances.

One interesting exercise is to place one edge horizontally tangent to a cylinder magnet whose poles are in a horizontal plane and observing the equatorial lightened area while keeping the film in a horizontal plane, move the film edge to perpendicular and back to tangent on the opposite side of the cylinder. You will notice that the equitorial line will shift toward one pole and another equitorial line will emerge from the other pole. At midpoint (perpendicular) there will be two lines arcing from the edge out into the sheet in opposite directions. As you progress to the tangent of the other side of the cylinder you will see the second equitorial line center itself. This illustrates the importance of being tangent when using the film to mark equitorial centerlines. Wink

Cheers

Cool

Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:24 am PostPost subject:
jwk
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I think i shall have to get some of that. It would be usefull to see whats going on in my latest hash up. Im yet to start it yet but i was hoping to convert some old motors to brushless, basically copying a design that normally sets me back about 50 a time.

Thanks Very Happy

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | WhipMag Discussion/Development
View previous topic
View next topic