The Rules of the Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | Announcements    Page 1 of 1

Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:38 pm PostPost subject: The Rules of the Forum
babcat
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Ok. I think we need to set some rules for this forum.

First of all, I think we need to prohibit slanderous or hateful attacks on Steorn or any member trying to duplicate Steorn's work. They are going to happen, and we need to be ready. If someone shows their true colors and we realize they are not here to replicate Steorn's technology but only to cause trouble they are to be banned, period. I'm not talking about disagreements, but outright attacks and slander.

Second of all, if someone starts spamming with stupid comments or nonsensical links we need to ban them.

Third, we need to try and stay on topic when it comes to each thread. If the thread is about permanent magnet sources we don't need to be talking about geopolitical implications and vice versa.

Do these rules sound good to everyone?

Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:44 pm PostPost subject:
WhiteLite
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I don't think we need to ban people who don't agree OU is possible, just ensure their posts don't cause too much disruption in the face of a decent discussion.

Spammers and scammers should be banned.

Staying on topic is good but a bit of flexibility should be allowed.

We have a good opertunity to form a nice forum here. It's easier to alow a little flexibilty at first and tighten it up later rather than be too strict to begin with, IMHO.

Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:35 pm PostPost subject:
babcat
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

I'm not saying we should be someone for posting their honest opinions. But if they disrupt a thread by saying, "Your device is never going to work because OU is absolutely impossible!" and continue to disrupt the flow of the thread we should take action.

Flexibility is very important and vital. But at the same time we need to set standards so that our discussions stay on topic and are not disrupted by trouble makers.

Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:21 pm PostPost subject: agreement
clovis ray20
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

bobcat i agree. Cool

Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:23 am PostPost subject:
drichardson
Site Admin

Perhaps a less strict ban policy? Proper moderation should solve most problems.

Ban spammers if they never post constructively -- remove the random spam posts as they appear otherwise. (There's some room for interpretation when it comes to what is and what is not spam -- I'd hate to ban a potentially-good-but-overzealous user)

Dissenting opinions that become disruptive could be moved or deleted.

Any thoughts?

While I'm here...
Admins: Be on the lookout for users who would make good moderators!

Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:22 am PostPost subject:
babcat
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

drichardson,

I agree with what you are saying. Your plan sounds fine. But to be honest I have noticed once someone blurts out something like, "Free energy is just a scam and will never work. Their lying and using you people." or something like that they *usually* are just on the forum to cause trouble. We don't have to ban anyone automatically, but I'm just saying that we need to stop disruptors fairly quickly without too many warnings so they don't disrupt things on here when things start hopping.

Also, now that we have a few moderators we need to be careful about who we allow to moderate. We don't want to suddenly select anyone until we get to know them more than a little. When things get busy we will need several moderators, but lets not promote too many people too quickly until we really need them.

By the way, thanks for what your doing for us drichardson.

Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:09 pm PostPost subject: state side
clovis ray20
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

dr.r and bobcat,
there seems to be a 6hour or so difference in time between where i at and you all. you mite think about having a couple moderators , over in the states to cover the time you guys are in bed.if you want i will try. if not. no problem.
Idea

Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:23 pm PostPost subject:
Magnatrix
Site Admin

I agree moderation is important
I'd volunteer if you need someone in this time zone ( gmt -4 )

I'm a little concerned about the banning of people going off-topic.
agreed that people should start a new thread whenever a ( new) topic subject begins to appear, but that said,
some of the most interesting ( or enlighting) discussions happen when the thread takes a "left turn"

The other thing I was thinking about ( & maybe this was addressed already.. I haven't looked through yet)
is the Star-ratings.
reputations & ratings cause tremendous problems on most forums ( that I've encountered). In Fact, of the 6 or so forums that I regularly visit, the rating systems have had to be "torn-out" due to serious abuse.
Just something to think about

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:17 am PostPost subject:
clovis ray20
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

magnatrix
the u.s and canada working together, united sounds great. we could make a good team
if they should want.

View previous topic
View next topic