More ravings from grimer etc.

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | Skeptics, sceptics, and Cynics    Page 1 of 1

Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:42 am PostPost subject: More ravings from grimer etc.
exco
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I see the great theoretician is now holding forth about elastic bands and the possibility of making a heat-driven motor using stretched rubber's tendency to contract when heated.

It is (as ever) unclear as to what the great man is claiming with these toys, but heat pipes come into it at one point. (As the heated rubber moves, it takes heat with it so it's a heat pipe, capable of transferring heat at the speed of sound (sic) By this definition, I am a heat pipe too, as I take my wife a cup of tea, but I can assure you that I do not move at the speed of sound. No matter. This is a side issue of lunacy. more is to come.

It would appear (blowing away what chaff I can from the gibberish) that because elastic bands are affected by heat, grimer has leaped - with no justification whatsoever - to magnetic fields and assumed that they too are affected by heat!

Well, they might be. Personally I doubt it because warm electric motors are not dramatically more or less efficient than cold ones. But unless grimer can produce some evidence for this remarkable effect, he is (as ever) talking through his arse. In this he is, as ever, ably assisted by factor express.

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:24 am PostPost subject:
RunningBare
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Magnets can be effected by heat, but only at the curie point, wether there is a point just before curie that can be exploited I have no idea, but what I do know is that the metals used in magnets can expand and contract with temperature change, the effect is extremely small but does happen.

Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:36 am PostPost subject:
exco
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Well, its hard to follow the great man's thoughts most of the time, but my interpretation was that he was expecting magnetic FIELDS - which he implies are sort of magnetic rubber bands - to be affected by heat, which is a very different thing.

But if it is large amounts of expansion and contraction with heat the fellow is after, why not try 'memory metal' which is capable of large temperature dependent changes in shape?

I think in trying to make sense of grimers ravings in future, I will revert to killing a goat and reading it's entrails.

Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:38 am PostPost subject:
exco
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Poor old grimer is at it again with an idiotic sermon on fridge magnets. Work is done, he says, by the magnet in sticking itself to the fridge, and to get it off you have to do work too. These do not cancel each other out he declares!

We then have the bizarre claim that a weight sitting on a table is doing work and because the magnet (now firmly stuck on the fridge) is pulling bits of fridge and the fridge is pulling bits of magnet (sic) they too are hard at it doing work.

Although he doesn't actually say it, the implication - picked up by his fellow madmen on the steorn forum - is that with all this 'work' going on, extraction of energy should be possible.

It is hardly surprising that this nonsense later in the thread results in an apparently unresolvable paradox, but our hero is more than up to this little problem with the phrase:

However, I think the definitions of work, force, and energy all need to be re-thought.

-and with one bound he is free!

You really couldn't make this crap up! It is a constant source of delight!

Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:21 pm PostPost subject:
Thicket
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

It's quite entertaining. Maybe it's fridge magnets that are eating all the food in my fridge. They got hungry after doing lots of work Very Happy .

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | Skeptics, sceptics, and Cynics
View previous topic
View next topic