A small science experiment

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | Inventor's Corner    Page 1 of 1

Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:11 pm PostPost subject: A small science experiment
WhiteLite
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Take two disk magnets, (I presume this would work with bar magnets too). The stator magnet is facing up while the rotor magnet is facing left right. Note you'll need a plastic bar over the bottom magnet to stop them coming together!

Now move the magnet on the left from left to right.

As you can see where the magnets are closest the two feilds of flux are starting to collide. If you kept pushing the left magnet horizontally you would have a powerful force to overcome, but you don't need to do this.

What's happening now is that instead of forcing the lines of flux together the magnet is going up as well as right so the flux loops are rolling over each other, no real force needed.

At this point the moving magnet is at its highest position. The looping lines of flux are on top of each other and the moving magnet is just about to be attracted to the bottom magnet.

Now the moving magnet has experienced an attractive force and moved down again and to the right. Energy has been gained. It is now resting in this position.

Now the upper magnet is moving right again. It is being pulled out of ts attractive field and energy is being lost.

My point? Well trying this out it feels as if the downwards right movement, (going into the field), is stronger then the force needed to pull it out of the field afterwards. Also you can forget about rolling over the two coils of flux and start the process when the moving magnet is at it's highest. This way you end up with a V movement with the first part of the V gaining energy and the second part losing energy. If the first part of the V is more than the second part then you have OU.

If it is OU then you could use many bottom stator magnets at angles and conect the V's together in a ring. Then you can have a second set of stators angled the other way round beneath and another moving rotor magnet beneath that. If both rotors were connected via a central axis/spindel and one rotor was at the bottom of the V while the other was at the top then you would have a self sustaining device.

Does that make sense? Any thoughts?

Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:21 am PostPost subject:
babcat
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Hello Whitelite,

I find your ideas very, very interesting. Could you please label the polarities of the magnets involved?

Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:08 am PostPost subject:
WhiteLite
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi Babcat. Visimag should have labelled them automatically. The polarities are there but in grey so you might not see them too well.

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:54 am PostPost subject:
babcat
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Hello Whitelite,

Yes, I see the polarities now. I had to look very, very closely.

Thanks!

Fri May 04, 2007 7:27 pm PostPost subject:
exco
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I can save you the hassle.

The work needed to pull the thing out of the field is exactly equal to that gained by it being pulled into the field (neglecting losses)

People tend to confuse force, work and energy and mislead themselves dreadfully as a result.

There is no such thing as a free lunch in this universe. And it is just as well too, as the things that allow us to exist depend on the coonservation of energy. There's not a lot of point in not having to pay eletricity bills when you are a cloud of disassociated subatomic particles, along with the earth, the solar system and the rest of the universe.

Fri May 04, 2007 8:49 pm PostPost subject:
avid_engineer
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Exco,

That's not to say that the Conservation of Energy doesn't also apply to properties of the universe that have yet to be understood. There are so many contributing factors which "allow us to exist" as you put it.

I am looking forward to a little reading on the results of the CERN experiments to find the differentiating factor's between energy and mass (higgs field etc.).

Why is everyone so heart set on 'Creating energy'? Forget the free lunch concept and imagine a currency exchange Smile

Mon May 07, 2007 10:32 pm PostPost subject:
alsetalokin
Site Admin

@avid: Laughing
Your metaphor of the Currency exchange is really apt! A great mechanism for (ultimately) emptying the pockets of the poor and stuffing the pockets of the rich--sort of a monetary Maxwell's Daemon!
Just as, in a real-world closed system, entropy must always increase, so in the closed system of the World Bank/IMF/capitalistic stock market economy, poverty must always increase. Eventually all the money in the world will belong to Bill Gates!
Of course, as long as the population of poor workers can be made to increase seemingly without limit, those of us somewhere in the middle (class) can extract a more-or-less living wage out of the flow. Sometimes. Maybe. I feel myself slippppiiinngg......
Embarassed

Tue May 08, 2007 8:10 am PostPost subject:
exco
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

If you can create energy at will, there is no reason for entropy to increase.

This is one of the consequences of abandoning CoE. The whole fabric of the universe has to be rethought. The concept of 'free energy' has implications a lot more profound than not having to worry about power bills!

View previous topic
View next topic