Wireless Power

Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:11 am PostPost subject: Wireless Power
Nalum
Contributor
Contributor

Here's an interesting article I came across.
It's not very informing but I found it interesting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6129460.stm

Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:16 am PostPost subject:
babcat
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

I read that earlier. It's pretty interesting. It reminds me of Tesla's work a little. But if you can just have an internal power source like the Steornicator there would be no need for the wireless version.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:26 am PostPost subject:
exco
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

And if you had a magic wand you wouldn't need either.

However, I have more belief in Soljacic's concept because

1. It doesn't break any of the fundamental rules that the universe appears to work to.
2. It has passed peer group review before being published.
3. Full details of the concept have been published for examination and criticism by anyone sufficiently interested.
4. There is both analytic and numerical simulation support for the concept.
5. It makes a clear distinction between theoretical feasibility and practical application and contains no outrageous claims.

What a pity Messrs. Steorn cannot be bothered with any of these simple and commonly used methods of presenting new ideas.

Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:49 pm PostPost subject:
Joh70
Contributor
Contributor

electro-smog makes us sick. no good idea

Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:50 am PostPost subject:
alsetalokin
Site Admin

Electro-smog! That explains my electro-cough.
See my avatar. Not faked. Old technology. Drawing less than 35 watts from the mains, could light as many of these compact fluorescents as can be packed into the field. No wires. Demonstratable at any time.
For Sale Cheap!

Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:01 am PostPost subject:

exco wrote:
And if you had a magic wand you wouldn't need either.

However, I have more belief in Soljacic's concept because

1. It doesn't break any of the fundamental rules that the universe appears to work to.
2. It has passed peer group review before being published.
3. Full details of the concept have been published for examination and criticism by anyone sufficiently interested.
4. There is both analytic and numerical simulation support for the concept.
5. It makes a clear distinction between theoretical feasibility and practical application and contains no outrageous claims.

What a pity Messrs. Steorn cannot be bothered with any of these simple and commonly used methods of presenting new ideas.

Physics has been disproven a number of times. You may have to eat these words soon. LOL

Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:17 am PostPost subject:
alsetalokin
Site Admin

007 wrote:

Physics has been disproven a number of times. You may have to eat these words soon. LOL

I guess I missed those times. I must have been looking at pictures of Titan, Saturn's moon, sent back by the robotic lander that we sent there a couple years ago. Or maybe I was using my laptop computer wirelessly to browse the internet for photographs of the Soviet H-bomb tests. Or maybe I was just on a turbojet airplane flight across the Atlantic, at night, in clouds, while the pilot got a position fix from the GPS system.

Perhaps you, 007, could remind me of just one specific time that "Physics has been disproven."

Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:04 pm PostPost subject:
drichardson
Site Admin

Perhaps "disproved" implies a bit too much. What I think 007 means is that our understanding of physics (like all science) is constantly changing -- the old rules replaced by the new. Change is, after all, one of the great hallmarks of science.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:39 pm PostPost subject:
alsetalokin
Site Admin

Indeed, drichardson, I would have to agree with you (except for the part where you interpret 007's comment). But I see the scientific process more as a convergence, or iteration if you will, on theories that describe and predict experimental results and observations (hence the world around us) with ever-increasing accuracy. An example is the progression from Aristotelian dynamics, through Newtonian, to our current relativistic Einsteinian dynamics. Each set of theories was accurate enough to fulfil the needs of the times, and was seemingly in accord with observation. But as observations became more and more precise, the shortcomings of each theory became evident and new formulations were required. Relativistic dynamics doesn't negate Newtonian, it just points out that Newtonian dynamics is incomplete and limited to certain ranges of size, velocity, time, etc. So Newton isn't "wrong", or as 007 might say, "disproven"; after all, artillery shells are pretty darn accurate, and we even hit Titan without resorting to General Relativity.
But claiming that something violates CofE is a horse of an entirely different color. I can never prove that it is impossible, after all, I haven't done every possible experiment. But it would be very easy to prove that it _is_ possible to violate CofE, if one could show a functioning device and make it available for testing. After all, we have very many instances of data from the world that support CofE and absolutely none that disconfirm it, but we have very accurate methods of measuring energy flows and balances.
Now, the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNDIWY19gqA
shows, especially in the time 0:40 thru 0:50, some "stop-start" action of the Steorn test-bed device. Based on this little snippet, and my considerable experience in these matters, I think Steorn _may_ have re-invented the "Dean Drive" in a rotary magnetic device. Recall the inertially-driven canoe (sorry, the reference isn't at my fingertips) that exhibited a similar stop-start progression across the water under the influence of the workings of a clunky (literally) magic box, or review the Tolchin device, or the work of Jim Cox, or Gennady Shipov et al. for examples of what I mean. All of these devices have been successful in moving, and have extracted much funding from various investors, and various theories (all at variance with conventional physics) have been proposed to explain their behavior. And all are wrong, as careful, skeptical, controlled experiments have shown. And in none of these cases has the faith of the inventors been shaken--they just come up with newer, even more speculative (read crazy) theories, and move on to new sets of investors for funding.
I'm probably (certainly) over-interpreting what I see in 10 seconds of poorly-shot video, but based on what I see and what I know, I am quite certain I could reproduce the device's behavior, and I can think of a bunch of control experiments, the results of which would answer the fundamental question definitively. If only Steorn would allow them to be done. I know that at least one official Jury member will call for such experiments, and I eagerly await the results.

(BTW that turquoise Karmann-Ghia in the video would make a really cool demonstrator for Orbo, wouldn't it? Much classier than the Porsche, IMO.)

Last edited by alsetalokin on Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:14 pm; edited 2 times in total

Wed May 02, 2007 4:32 pm PostPost subject:
Thicket
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Nice post Alsetalokin. It's easy to differentiate a knowledgeable, optimistic, open-minded scientist from a rah-rah, blind-faith, close-minded believer.

I've researched some of your references and found interesting stories. Thanks.

View previous topic
View next topic