Who can be granted a patent?

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | Skeptics, sceptics, and Cynics    Page 1 of 1

Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:52 pm PostPost subject: Who can be granted a patent?
exco
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I don't know for sure about outher countries but in the UK, you have the right to APPLY for a patent but most definately NOT to automatically receive it. That is why the term 'granted' is used. The crown is under no obligation to give you exclusive use of your invention.

There are certain areas where an application for a patent renders the invention secret. The application immediately become a classified documents covered by the official secrets act, pending examination by experts to determine whether it is in the national interest to grant it at all! If it is not, the government may cheerfully use it and are under no obligation to either grant you a patent or to pay you a penny! Although, you may receive an ex gratia payment, you cannot legally demand it. In the UK case, the crown has free use of your invention, by law, ANYWAY, and need not pay you for using it even if the patent IS granted.

Moreover, if it remains secret, you will be bound by the Official Secrets Act, and revealing the information publicly can result in a long jail sentence.

Defence inventions are an obvious example, but the general principle applies to all areas.

I cannot imagine that other governments - those that have patent laws (not all have) - are any different, and were the impossible to happen and someone DID come up with a working perpetual motion machine, that person could expect NOT to receive a patent. It would cause such an earthquake in society that it is probably wise to keep it under wraps until the transition to a free energy society could be properly planned in order to minimise disruption.

Personally, I believe an infinite energy sourrce could be a devastating weapon, and in the case of the UK it would certainly be classified.

What this all boils down to is that a patent for something as world changing as this is not worth a bucket of warm spit!

Wed May 02, 2007 1:22 pm PostPost subject:
Thicket
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Patents are often worthless. I'm dealing with a real-life example right now. Last week I received a letter from lawyers whose client is claiming that my plant's design infringes on his patent. Funny thing is that my plant was running before he submitted his patent. His patent is totally useless. That hasn't stopped this person from trying to extract money though. Smile

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | Skeptics, sceptics, and Cynics
View previous topic
View next topic