Email request to Steorn for electrical specifications

Post new topic Reply to topic FizzX.org Forum Index | General Steorn Discussion    Page 1 of 1

Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:55 pm PostPost subject: Email request to Steorn for electrical specifications
avid_engineer
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I have decided to write an email to Steorn to request some more detail on the electrical connections of their measurement apparatus, and data aquisition hardware. My reasons are obvious, as i would like to closely replicate Steorn's methodology.

The email will not request any information regarding magentic configuration, effect etc. It's sole purpose is to better understand how to systematically measure torque in order to benefit my own efforts, and our communities efforts to experiment with magnetic principles.

I wanted to know the opinions of our members regarding the request, and whether or not others are happy for me to sign this email in an official mannor from Fizzx. If not i will keep the correspondance private.

It should be noted that i would happily agree not to make given information public if that is their wish. Yet i obviously don't want to sign an NDA at this stage, because we as a community would like to share any results we find on our own.

Thoughts?

Last edited by avid_engineer on Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:51 pm; edited 2 times in total

Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:14 pm PostPost subject:
babcat
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

As long as it is a polite request I have no problem whatsoever.

Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:32 pm PostPost subject:
clovis ray20
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

i don't know why they wouldn't release that kind of info it being just for test purposes.
i say go for it, and good luck

Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:47 pm PostPost subject:
avid_engineer
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Here is a draft of the request i intend to send to Steorn. I guess it's likely that Sean will read it here before he gets it in his mail (lol) but i wanted the oponion of our community before i sign and send.

Quote:

Dear Sean,

I am writing this letter to you on behalf on the FizzX.com community to ask for some information regarding the electronics of the DAQ and control systems you employ in your test rigs. No doubt that these are busy times for all of you at Steorn, and we can only hope you can find the time to help us out. It is our wish that when enough information comes into the public domain we have the facilities in place to test your tech, and the best place to start would be for us to replicate some of your test methodology. This would also allow us to experiment with some of our own ideas and learn a lot along the way.

It has been very challenging to embark on the steep learning curve regarding shaft encoders, DAQ hardware, stepper systems etc. We appreciate all the information you have given us so far regarding your rigs components however I have a few questions that would help us to really get the ball rolling.

Firstly, regarding your shaft encoders, the manufacturer’s website is unclear whether they are absolute or incremental encoders. Could you specify for us?

I have a couple of questions regarding your stepper motor systems. Firstly, can I ask why it is that you use two different types of motor on each test rig? We are looking to build a test system on a budget, so my second question pertains to the control system you use for the stepper system. I understand the MDrive17 Plus motor has a built in controller, how does this interface to your DAQ computer, or does it not?

Any other information you could release to us would be extremely helpful and our forum members would be very appreciative. Even simple notes explaining encoder pin outs, timer control systems, logic outputs etc would save us a tremendous amount of time and possibly wasted funds.

Once more, I realise you are all very busy and whatever little information you are able to give us will be met with excitement among our community. Perhaps when we have a complete system, we could even publish the specific details for others to re-produce!

Many thanks and best regards,

Adam Wilks

Representing the FizzX.com online community

Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:28 pm PostPost subject:
WhiteLite
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Well done mate. I hope you get a reply!

Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:10 pm PostPost subject:
DaveHoward_
Contributor
Contributor

Adam, nice request.

Let us know if you get a reply.

I'm still waiting for Sean to reply as promised here:
http://www.steorn.net/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=22621&page=5&Focus=677951

Read last few posts. Sean has been in the forum many time since then but never replied.

I got a couple more general technical questions... getting close to understanding the configuration.

Maybe crank can bring this to Sean's attention next time they meet.

Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:53 pm PostPost subject:
clovis ray20
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

a little long but on point., good luck

Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:19 pm PostPost subject:
avid_engineer
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I've just sent the email. Let's hope they can give us response. For anyone interested here is a list of the datasheets and manuals etc i am using to spec DAQ components for a test rig. Some of these have already been posted by other members, others are new components i have chosen for cost or compatibility reasons.

Sensoray PC/104 DAQ Module:
http://www.sensoray.com/downloads/526%20Manual.pdf
http://www.sensoray.com/downloads/526%20Software.pdf

HBM T20WN Torque Transducer:
http://www.hbm.com/data/softdoc/hbm/data/b0673.pdf
http://www.hbm.com/data/softdoc/hbm/data/A0732.pdf

MDrive17 Plus Microstepping Motor+Drive:
http://www.imshome.com/Product%20Datasheets/MDM17Plus.pdf
http://www.motioncontrolproducts.com/c2/uploads/mdrive.pdf
http://www.motioncontrolproducts.com/c2/uploads/mdi.pdf

Pepperl & Fuchs Incremental Rotary Encoder:
http://www.pepperl-fuchs.com/selector/navi/productInfo/edb/t10721_eng.pdf

Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:34 pm PostPost subject:
avid_engineer
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I have some bad news, not regarding the email to Steorn but rather a quote relating to the torque sensors. It was obvious they wouldnt be cheap but these torque sensors (T20WN) cost over £2000 a piece!!

So, I won't be buying any of those and therefor no longer have any reason to persue the data aquisition hardware, shaft encoders etc.

I must say, im quite dissapointed. I've been looking forward to a new electronics project and after all the reading i have done in the last week or two i felt i was almost ready to take it on.

I will be sure to post any reponse from Steorn. I only hope that something good can still come from it and i havn't wasted their time.

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:32 am PostPost subject:
Crastney
Contributor
Contributor

have you tried second hand? e-bay? or even freecycle?!

i can't believe they're that expensive - i suppose it's high end equipment, that measures incredibly accurately.

Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:00 pm PostPost subject:
avid_engineer
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

By sheer coincidence i've just bought some optical encoders via eBay Smile

I am currently trying to adapt my rig to use hardware that i already have available and i believe im making good progress. The rig im working on is detailed in another thread here if you're interested...

http://fizzx.com/viewtopic.php?t=126

Unfortunately the torque sensors are very expensive, and as you rightly say 'high end'. Not the sort of thing i've seen available on the second hand market so i've kinda given up - but not completely. I believe there are other ways of producing usefull data by using servo motors with current, voltage and RPM / angle sensors.

I am also very interested in Photon's Piezo force sensor rig (steorn forum) and am thinking about getting a PC based oscilloscope which will hopefully allow a little more flexibility than the DAQ board i priced up before.

Wish i had more time to work on this stuff!!!

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:07 pm PostPost subject:
buletov
Contributor
Contributor

I heard that Technical Specifications will be available in the second week of the month April, 2007.

View previous topic
View next topic